1945 Elgin by Junknutz1975

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
May 1st , 2014

August 2nd , 2014
:)

I went for an awesome, drizzly, 1 hour 45 minute long, Elgin ride this morning around my hometown of Chicopee Massachusetts.
Trolling around for the perfect location for a photo shoot.
I couldn't settle on just one :39:

Ride along with me :thumbsup:......

Here is an old factory that is being torn down. The building has a real rich history in Chicopee and in the bicycle industry. It is the former little tire company..... you may have heard of them before....... Fisk Tire Company :eek: read more---->https://www.chicopeema.gov/page.php?id=2049

This is a really cool shed at Szot Park. The park was named for the first Chicopee soldier who was killed in World War 1 ,Frank Jacob Szot
Read More ---->https://sites.google.com/site/szotmemorialpark/home/history-of-szot-memorial-park

The Veteran Memorial Park .....

Chicopee City Hall....

And last but not least.......

• Cabotville Canals were built by the Springfield Canal Co. to provide water to the mills being constructed on the Chicopee River;
• Cabotville Industrial Park opened for business in 1834 when the Cabotville Manufacturing Co. produced its first yard of cloth, the Perkins Co., whose first cotton mill began production in 1836, and the Dwight Manufacturing Co., which was formed in 1841;
• The Dwight Co. iron gate was emblazoned with the company’s trademarks. The company manufactured the famous “Anchor” brand of cotton cloth and the affordable Star Brand which was the nation’s largest selling bed sheet;
• The Patch was the first place where newly-arrived Irish immigrants lived in the 1840s. The Patch consisted of Emerald, Dublin, Tremont and Abbey streets. Today, the area is called the West End;
• Cabotville Commons was a pre-Revolutionary War grazing ground. Today, it is Chicopee’s oldest park on the south side of School Street between Spruce and Chestnut streets;

Last edited:
Love the rust on that bike,also the history in your hometown.But wow on those stunning gates and stars the ironwork is amazing...
I like the close-up of the crank IN pic 4 and the ones in front of the gates.

Looks good man! Thanks for the tour too, you know I love the stories behind these places and New England is full of them. Myself I work in a mill on an 1867 industrial site. Good luck in the BuildOff! --Rob

Here's one vote for your "transratual".

Another great build from a master!
The transformation that this bike went through was great to watch.
Bravo buddy!

Thanks for all the support everyone! :thumbsup:

It was a fun journey!

..... a cheap one too...
The most expensive part ( still really cheap @ $23 :praise: ) was the awesome @slowriderz seat post , $12 in " lead " supplies ( thanks to my employee discount :whistle: )

Everything else was just lying around in my parts stash stable :41:

Thanks again everyone !! :banana:

Congratulations on a skillful and natural appearing transition and the great period feel on your bike. "I'd ride that!":cool2:
Really great pics for the finals as well and Welcome to BoNine 'Club 22'!
22s.jpg

As someone born in Chicopee and moved away as a boy in the early 60's I thank you for the great pics and history lesson.
All my moms relatives worked at "Fisk" back in the day...
Oh, and great job on the bike too ;)

I just looked through you photos again. Thanks for the cool tour of parts of your town. It was almost as much fun as the journey you took us on with this wicked build!

Latest posts

Back