1938-41 Entry level track bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely the hardest ridden bike of the build off!!!
GitErDone

Done. Only problem is I can't find my Schwinn Top Hat decal and the head badge. They will show up eventually. Dark and rainy out so the pictures are not good. The coaster brake arm still needs to be connected. I'll do that tomorrow. I like the cloth tape on the bars.
IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG

Definitely the hardest ridden bike of the build off!!!
GitErDone
I rode my Oranjaboom Bomber from class 1 about 40 miles in prep for the race I used it in and the race. I think I used this bike about the same before I finished it. I rode it on three 9+ mile rides on the Munising, Mi bike path and at least once and perhaps twice on the Marquette, Mi bike path for about 15 miles each time. I also rode it around our home several times. So probably I rode this bike 50 miles this summer before it was painted. I can't wait to ride it tomorrow in finished form if the weather cooperates.

This reminds me of the bike I built for a past build off, Simplistic Speed.

Nice, same frame as mine, it appears. I like the massive chain ring. The big chain rings were a popular look around 1900. I saw several old wood wheeled bikes with these big chain rings at a Michigan Wheelman's ride this spring and they told me big rings were a look back then. They also told me that my old track bike from 1890s without a head badge probably came that way. Pros rode with the head badge and unsponsored amateurs didn't have head badges. I thought that was interesting, it sounds like it could be true.

I rode it ten miles today. It's hard to ride compared to a road bike even from the 60s. I had a few problems which I fixed as I had tools on the ride. I have one more slight problem to work out to get it to where it was before paint. I'll do that right away because if I put this bike away for the winter without the fix I won't remember it needs tweaking before my first spring ride on it. I hate when I do that.

Latest posts

Back