1937 EVINRUDE STEAMFLOW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Mike Spangler of Mike's Vintage Bikes in Grand Haven, MI has been showing me the bike's he got for sale lately and today I asked him for some hi-res shots of his beautiful Evinrude. Thought I'd post them up so everyone can drool over their art deco goodness.

:43::13::43::13::43:

evinrude001_low.jpg

evinrude002_low.jpg

evinrude003_low.jpg

evinrude004_low.jpg

woweee, that sure is an eye catcher! the only other one ive seen was the blue one that jesse james had on ebay, when he was selling off his collection.

I'm sure I'm going to be lambasted here and I may be the only one who thinks this way, but I have always thought these bikes were ugly. Specifically the fork....it just doesn't flow with the rest of the bike and looks like an after thought by the designers. From the fork back it is awesome and I do think the fork itself is a piece of art. Together they just don't work.
Rare and valuable?...yes....
Actually an attractive overall design?...no...
I think if these bikes had been mass produced and readily available today, they would be the Edsel of the bike hobby.....
Of course this is just one guy's opinion.:)

You're not the only one I've heard say it was an ugly bike. Most of the time it's big time collectors who haven't been able to get their hands on one yet. :rofl: (not suggesting that about you :angelic:)

On the contrary, I think the fork on this bike is one of the few I've ever seen that DID flow with the design. One continuous line from the front drop out to the rear drop out. Second line from the front drop out to the tip of the rack. Design 101. Gorgeous!

I think the design definitely has polarizing qualities.

Funny that the fork has been mentioned......that's always been a big part of why I liked the bike. To me it pulls it all together....the mimicking of the fender curves. I love the fact that it's taking design cues from the rail industry design of the time.

re6tyudry5drs5.jpg

prr-s1-locomotive-raymond-loewy.jpg

Well, I am one to usually like unique polarizing designs (Like my Avanti II), but I just can't fall in love with the looks of the Evinrude. I would love to find one hidden in someone's shed so I could pay for my daughter's college, though!

I agree, Not my favorite bike but because I could completely pay for my college. I'd be one heck of a find.

So few out there, That adds to the cool factor for me.

I think the designs idea is good but agree the forks don't look right. I believe it is the slope make it look backwards to my eye. Also the angle of the steering parts look off to the steer tube. If you look at the trains they all give visual weight by putting the bottom in front of the top.

The speedometer cable routed on the side of the fork bugs me. From looking at other bike photos, it's supposed to go through the center of the fork as far as I can tell. For that kind of price and such a nice restoration otherwise, I'm really surprised that they did that! :blackeye: Maybe there were design changes along the way. :39:
22431938.jpg

EvinrudeA-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back