1933 Colson Flyer 28" Motobike Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a deal on a 28” double bar drop frame online. The drop-outs, chain ring, and serial number suggest Colson, Elyria Ohio make. I was able to slap on some parts already on hand to make it a rider. (I borrowed the wheels from my Shapleigh project).
upload_2017-6-5_12-15-42.png

The ~80-90’s paint is blue with brown primer, but looks to have been varnished or clear-coated, so it appears greenish in some pictures or poor lighting. I see some flecks of OEM red paint in some hard-to-sand areas, but it looks like the original paint is mostly gone. I already have a red-bike project, so when that one is done, maybe this one will get darker red, burgundy or maroon.
upload_2017-6-5_12-14-48.png

I found out first-hand about interchangeability of skip-tooth and 1/2" pitch roller chains and sprockets – basically, they are not compatible. I thought I had read something that they were, only in a limited way, (but that could have involved a grinding tool). So, I have an aftermarket skip-tooth cog/sprocket on order, with the Bendix/Shimano 3-tabs interface. I want to revert back to the 24T 5-sweethearts/5-teardrops/5-Hersey’s kisses chain ring, and a 53” or 54” chain. 24-11 sprockets make a comfortable 2.18 ratio.
upload_2017-6-5_12-7-28.png

I had to add a lower headset bearing cup (standard 32.5 mm) and new bearings. The small seat tube is my only one that will accept the 3/4" seat-post I acquired somewhere. The dented tank was from a Mead Crusader, and fits okay. The forks do not match other online catalog/pictures of Colson Flyers, which show laminated double bar crown and truss rods.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back