1930? tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this German built tandem. The only thing which is non-original are the 144’s and the horn. The original front wheel is a Sachs drop center with a large drum brake. The rear it had was a Durex single speed coaster brake. I have removed the wheels in favour of the 144’s. It has telescopic front forks and this is the original paint job. Weight as equipped is 78 pounds. The frame is super heavy and has a wild amount of flex over uneven ground. Please help me to id this strange monster. I would love to know more about
IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

What are the stickers on the seat tubes? Torpedo was Sach's name for some of there hubs. The Durex hub may have a date stamp on it. This will help date it. Probably more like late 40's to 50's.

Googling around looks like a Rixe built bike. They may mopeds,motorcycles and bikes. That explains the fork. Some even have girder style forks.

The rear seat post says " Anerkanntes Markenrad" I haven't a clue what that means but someone who speaks German may know. The front sticker is from the bike shop who sold it it says pentiction lock and cycle company.

I don't speak German, but Google translate does! :mrgreen:

It states that "Anerkanntes Markenrad" means "recognized Markenrad". Maybe it's the German equivalent of 'Schwinn Approved'??

In any case, that's one cool old tandem, for sure..

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back