1904 - 1907 BSA ? help guys

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165981_10151363980673884_1362505614_n.jpg

was my mums old bike she used to do school runs with me on the back :p that was in 1990 she found it 40 years previous to that dumped on a road and then in 2002 got left in the garden for 2 weeks in the rain and that was that, the rear wheel has completely disolved into the ground.

just wondering what exactly it is?

its a lovely piece of kit

Nice picture. The bike was found in 1950? If the rear hub shell can be read, it may have the year in 2 digits, if the hub is Sturmey Archer. Details are hard to discern on the photo. Is there a head badge or outline of where it was? The chain wheel will also give a clue, need a closeup to tell.

in 1960 sorry,

heres the chainring

11229_10151363816233884_1699370876_n.jpg

im afraid im relying on my mama's pictures, she said she shone a torch around the back end and around the back/bottom half and said the rust was too bad to make out anything.

i do know it had a 3 speed of some kind but was in tatters when found, never got fixed just the lever taken off

That chain wheel IDs it as a Humber. You'll probably have to take some steel wool and oil to get to the numbers on the hub shell. Those bikes were made by Raleigh after 1932 then into the 70's. The dropouts are rear facing so it's probably a 50's bike.

cheers guys

i do know that the front brake WAS oldschool lever style nad got snapped off and replaced with a U brake

is humber good? i never heard of em

They were like most of the English bikes, after 1960 most were made by Raleigh, Humber much earlier. The Raleighs were a notch higher in quality, but all the brands were sturdy and last for years. Hercules, Phillips, BSA, Robin Hood are just a few names of these bikes. I have a Hercules 10 speed from the 60's that still rides well. If you have that Humber, the frame and forks are probably good and could be used to make a nice bike.

thats a nice thing to know, ill tell her to put it inside so i can rescue it when im back home.

she'll be happy to know some history on it :p

cheers for your help

hopefully have a nice project going in a few months!

Latest posts

Back