16" Huffman-Final shots posted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 16" Huffman-Update-A twin and a twinflex?

Yeah, it doesn't look like there will be that much change in distance. A simple unsprung "loop" guide like an old mx bike would probably do the job if you even need anything.

The little guy is rolling.

Got some more links added to the chain. The chain cleaned up really well too.

Here are some better shots of the whole bike.

Getting ready for the maiden voyage.

And she's off...

HAHAHA I LOVE IT!! WAY TO GO DAD! HFD!! PEACE

Looks like a total champ man!!!!

Re: 16" Huffman-Update-Time for Butch

Thanks for the comments guys and I will think about that layback seatpost especially since the bike is a little small for my smallest rider. It's complicated though because there is no seatpost clamp, which means the seatpost has a wedge like a handlebar stem. It would have to be custom. Not that that's a bad thing... :)

Time to give Butch a little time and let this one (name still TBD, but maybe Bruiser) sit for a little while.

cool job Dad :D a happy customer!!!!! :lol:

Troy

It is for sure Huffman built.

According to some of the feedback on the Cabe one of the frames I have is probably a '49 and the other is probably a '52.

There was feedback supporting both Huffman/Huffy and Dayton badging but not tons of either. These frames seem earlier than the Convertible, but maybe are the same time and the Convertible was just a 20"?

Not totally sure about that.

I really like that even if they are post-war they retained lots of the pre-war detailing that is my favorite.

Re: 16" Huffman-Update-Butch gets some attention

Started to look at Butch some more. I think the paint will clean up OK. Look at the tip of the front fender after a little rust remover. By no means great and it might not really ever shine again but there is at least some paint there.

I'll clean up the original ND hubs and use this drivetrain along with new rims. They may stay chrome.

Got the frame broken down and looked at adding a different fork. I'd like to get the front wheel pushed out a bit.

I like the look of the small bars and the color of the big fork is almost a dead match for the color of the original pinstriping.

Like I mentioned I'd like to bend the fork so it swoops out. Being oval tube and already built into the fork I figured it would be a battle and it was. I'd like to keep the color so didn't want to heat it. In the end that might have been the best. Got it bent but it's pretty rough.

Not to many options as far as where the fork could be bent. Maybe adding a couple more holes for the rollers would have helped.

Keeping me company and maybe getting a little bored.

Getting to work so we can have a front wheel for a quick look.

Note the footwear, similar to Luke's welding boots. :cry:

Getting the front wheel in place.

Some mockups.

For some reason the last images of the mockups are cut off. If I click on them I can view them fullsize, meaning I see the entire front wheel of the bike. That might be because I can link to the actual images on my computer though. Does that work for you guys?

Not sure why they cut off this time. Pretty sure they are the same size as before.

:shock: love the drop bars :!: this is a cool looking set up with the forks!!!!!!!

Troy

Thanks Chris.

Made some more progress on Butch today.

First I got the frame cleaned up a bit. Both better and not quite as much as I'd hoped for. Better color but no real gloss. In any case it looks different enough from Bruiser to set them apart.

The kids wanted to have a lemonade stand so I sat with them and got the wheels broken down and relaced.

Then it was time to do a clean and regrease of everything and start getting stuff put back together.

I like the look of a small front tire with the big back tire so picked this up on EBay. It was the smallest 16" I could find, 16x1.2, but it shipped from China. Pretty crazy in that it both got here very quickly and came shipped in a plastic bag tied with a string. I little bizarre.

Here's a concept photo robbed from the Gaskill Hop Shop site. Raw old paint, new wheels with the slicks in the back and the skinnies up front, maybe a wheelie bar?

We had some folks come over so I didn't get things all back together but did get the hubs all back together and the bottom bracket and steer tube back together. I also got the front wheel trued up but still need to do the back.

Got the rear wheel trued up and ready to go. And a headlight installed. The light is supposedly from my Grandpa's bike when he was young, which would place it in the late '20's or early '30's. It does have a glass lens but I don't know enough about these to know how old this one actually is.

And made a little progress on a seatpost. A regular layback post will put the seat too high. I think this should set it right where it needs to be. Ready to weld but my bike time is over at the moment.

Re: 16" Huffman-Update-Getting ready for a test run

One thing for sure is we aren't in the running for the biggest power slide but it was pretty fun giving it a try. Maybe a dustier road would help, lots of dry grass on this one. :?

These first couple are for Jats.

Then a few more. She's pretty focused that's for sure.

And I figured I should give it a try too. It was pretty hard to stay on the pedals of this little guy. :D

Latest posts

Back