16" Huffman-Final shots posted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 16" Huffman-Update-A twin and a twinflex?

And Luke thanks as always for the kind words.

I was surprised how good the Stingray tire looked with the fender. It's a look I've seen a lot, especially a few years ago on this site, but it seems to work on the small bike especially.

deorman said:
You're going to want to attach the brake anchor to the rocker somehow, so it doesn't mess with your brake-side bearing adjustment. :|

I forgot about that point. I attached mine to a bottle opener that dropped off from the lower pivot point.

Re: 16" Huffman

bruce said:
(SNIP)
And a shot with the donor wheels and tires. I'll keep the rims and spokes. Maybe the tires depending on whether this ends up a little Klunker or a little Dragster.

You can always go up to 18" or 20" wheels on it, here is my 16" wheel Schwinn Pixie with 20" wheels on it.

New%20Seat%20n%20Bars%201.jpg

OOPS never mind you already have the direction you will be going.... hahaha

Deorman/Kingfish-

I thought I would make the rocker long enough that the brake arm could attach to it, or maybe cut the brake arm down a bit.

Those rockers are the next step.

Honestly not as much progress as I'd hoped by now but the week and weekend were pretty busy. Lots of activities with family and friends as the school year comes to a close.

I did get the upper bracket for the rear springer all wrapped up. I cut out a piece to fit under the frame to clamp the bracket into place, drilled and tapped the upper bracket and blued everything to even out the finish.

This shot is a bit confusing as the bike is turned upside down, but it shows the clamping plate and bolts.

I also got some bushings from a skateboard shop to keep the rear spring in place per Kingfish's suggestion. They were a little big so I shaved them a bit with a rasp. The color is a nice accent I think.

I've been trying to decide what to do with the brake arm and had decided I would probably need to cut one down, but I dug around and found this New Departure brake arm that is quite a bit shorter than the one on the bike. It should work without being cut down, and I plan on making the rocker bracket on the brake side with an integral tab so I can just bolt directly to it.

Hopefully by the my next post the bike will be rideable again.

MO FLEXY
MO SEXY

Thanks for the support guys. :)

The next two weeks are pretty busy at work but hopefully I can at least get a couple of hours to get some brackets finished up. Got them laid out last night and have the hardware on order so things are moving.

Some more progress. The little guy is just about rideable again.

I got the rockers designed and cut out. The more triangular shaped parts I was using to test the fit seemed a little too big so I narrowed them down. Maybe a bit too much? I like the way the left one is shaped to allow the brake arm to connect without a second bracket.

Here is all of the hardware. The shoulder washers allow the rocker assembly to pivot and also allow me to tighten things down pretty well. I may end up with some nylon lock nuts also but I really like the acorn nuts so we'll see. And with a wife and four daughters the girl sticker has to find its way into the project somewhere. Plus it matches the green striped pajamas. Looking out for you Jats.

Here is the brake side mounted up. I used the brake arm as a template for some of the arcs on the rocker.

Got the rear fork cut to length and drilled out.

It looks pretty nice but is actually too narrow at the base. I suppose I could try to spread it and may, or can someone tell me if i can just cut it at the top and add a plate to make it wider? I seem to recall that welding the forged stuff isn't that simple. I just have a Mig with flux core so nothing fancy.

Luckily I had this other piece that was my first attempt at the rear fork still laying around. I thought it would be too short but it ended up fitting pretty well actually. So the rear springer is functional. I just need to add the links back to the chain and this one should be rideable. That's good because Butch is feeling a bit neglected.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos. I'll be more careful next time. :oops:

dangthat thing looks tough and buff!!

Brackets look sharp. Coaster brake arm will work fine with that.
I like the new suspension arm a lot better than the fork one.
I don't you will have any issues with chain tension. That was an unknown for me as well. But the TwinFlex's didn't have that issue either. I don't believe there is enough travel to cause any chain issues.
This little bugger is looking sharp!!!!

I did just notice something to check. I don't think you are going to have much adjustment for chain tension with the rear axle being fixed.

Thanks.

I was going to ask you about the chain tension issue with Flexy. Glad that it wasn't a problem.

Also this will be ridden by someone weighing in at right about 50 lbs. so not exactly a heavy weight.

I should have some adjustment for chain length where the rockers attach to the rear dropouts. Really the same as before.

The new rear fork definitely looks like part of the bike. The other one looked like an add-on which I liked too but agree with you all that overall this is an improvement.

looking real good! remember that you can get 1/2 links for your chain so it makes chain tensioning on single speed bikes easier!!

Troy

Latest posts

Back