11:11 FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the HDU holds up to paint pretty well. Compared to, what, lower density foam (?) I've used to build mountains / terrain for miniature villages, etc.
Different stuff, I'm sure. It's non-porous and impervious to solvents.

*Builds awesome gas bike.
*Postpones build week before deadline.
*Enters build off agin week before it's over.
*Throws something together over the weekend.
*Wins build off.
*Continues work on the Gas bike.
*Doesn't bat an eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been working on the patina for 11:11's tank today.

The bike was originally black and some of it shows through under the flaking red house paint, so I decided to start with black for the tank. I had first toyed with the idea of trying to match the flakey red over black but decided after seeing today's progress that I like how it looks on the bike being "original" black. The red would be tough to match and I like the contrast of the black tank better anyway. Plus it saves me a day!!!:)

Here's where it is in just a little over 48 hours after I started carving it. It's progressing faster than I had thought it would so I'm now hoping to finish ahead of schedule! That's a nice feeling after being behind schedule for the last three months with Chris.:whew:

101_3686.jpg
101_3689.jpg
101_3691.jpg

Last edited:
That's just not right......that you did that so quickly. I'm really beginning to dislike you!:21::21::21::thumbsup:

That's just not right......that you did that so quickly. I'm really beginning to dislike you!:21::21::21::thumbsup:
Now that I made my point.
That tank is amazing. You are hands down the King-o-Tanks.

I guess you can add dent-ist to your skillset now!

Day 4.

Hot rod bikes don't look right to me without the seat pushed back over the rear tire a little. So I grabbed an old lucky 7 and the original post and took them to my cousin to weld them together. (I know, I really need to get better at welding for myself but not today.) Not knowing yet how far back it will need to go, I flipped the 7 to get more options. The long part would be wasted inside of the other post anyway.
000_0032.jpg

000_0033.jpg

After I got back to my shop, I cut the top (now the bottom) of the old post and stuck it in the bike for a quick photo.
000_0036.jpg

did you scratch it first? that's amazing!! :eek:
The scratches where already there and I didn't even notice them until I started aging the white. I just painted the black directly over the original blue paint and then taped off the dart after it dried. It was done in a hurry.

The scratches where already there and I didn't even notice them until I started aging the white. I just painted the black directly over the original blue paint and then taped off the dart after it dried. It was done in a hurry.

All that time I wasted on prep work.. :21:

I discovered a problem while truing the wheels on the bike. The rear was totally out of square with the frame and it turned out that one of the drop outs was broken. It looks like it has been that way for a long time judging by the wear on the two pieces.

The quick rat rod solution was to reset the position and then drill and tap the hole for a machine screw.

Bam...fixed!:emo:
101_3696.jpg

WOW! Independent rear suspension!

Latest posts

Back