$10 goodwill schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I couldn't pass it up for $10.60 [emoji41]

I'm going to use it to convert my 79 boys 24" to a 5 speed.
07d594519ea5edb308150b0390705b68.jpg
6cae802ba1638b454f2f666dd02d9fee.jpg
adc2e4c9db52fc4bf1fa0bc142225b35.jpg
fa5ddc067621bce3f899067fb9b4612a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is. That's the first FFS I've seen mounted on an Ashtabula crank, though. Just so you know, the freewheel pawls are fully contained within the chainring spider--the rest of the bottom bracket is pretty conventional.

It absolutely works...it allows shifting while coasting and not pedaling because the chain is in constant motion. Frankly, it was a solution in search of a problem.

There is no freewheel at the rear hub, therefore, those parts only work in concert with the FFS bottom bracket as a system. If you intend to keep the mag-style chainring, that could pose some issues. I won't say for sure that those issues are insurmountable...I just don't know. Front-Freewheel System is a bit of an odd bird and this is the only instance I've seen on a one-piece crank. More investigation is in order.

I like the campus green camelback, by the way. It's probably my favorite Schwinn design--I own two myself.

It absolutely works...it allows shifting while coasting and not pedaling because the chain is in constant motion. Frankly, it was a solution in search of a problem.

There is no freewheel at the rear hub, therefore, those parts only work in concert with the FFS bottom bracket as a system. If you intend to keep the mag-style chainring, that could pose some issues. I won't say for sure that those issues are insurmountable...I just don't know. Front-Freewheel System is a bit of an odd bird and this is the only instance I've seen on a one-piece crank. More investigation is in order.

I like the campus green camelback, by the way. It's probably my favorite Schwinn design--I own two myself.

I'll swap everything to keep it simple. I'd like to keep the mag sprocket but I'm fine with using this. I think it will be neat. Kind of a what if schwinn did this in 79

Here's an FFS chainring is all its naked glory. If you can reproduce this 20-spline center, there is little reason to think it wouldn't work with a modified mag sprocket.

FFS.JPG

Here's an FFS chainring is all its naked glory. If you can reproduce this 20-spline center, there is little reason to think it wouldn't work with a modified mag sprocket.

View attachment 63016

I've been reading up on these freewheels while at work. Kinda neat! Should be cool on my low buck muscle bike build

Latest posts

Back