$10,000 Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently took a trip to NYC and Boston areas. Flew into JFK and after a few days in NYC, rode the Acela Express train to Boston. Bicycles are alive and well there! Saw a lot of flip-flop hubs on road bikes. Saw a lot of rental bikes. Saw a lot of Pedal Cabs. I always like to check out the local bike shops whenever I'm on a trip and in Boston I ran across a shop that sold Giant bikes. The guy running it was real nice and he showed me a Giant SL series road bike. I had never been on a modern high end road bike. I lifted it up and said WOW! Better yet, he had a large frame model in the shop that he rode himself and he let me ride it around the block. Sweet is all I can say! I wished that I had something like that 30 years ago! Thanks!!!

The new bikes are fast and light, but 30 years ago, we had comfortable Reynolds 531 steel. I guess you would rather have light and fast to keep up with the group rides.

The difference in high end road bikes and our classics is amazing.

Roads - Light, Fast, Responsive, the gear you need at the touch of a brifter! Fun.

Classics - Comfortable, no rush, take time to smell the roses and just enjoy the ride. Also Fun.

We like to ride both. It's nice having the right bike for the situation.

yes! High end bikes must be amazing. I have not had the opportunity to ride one, just fondled a few.

I would looooooooooooooove to have a $10k bike, and I'm pretty sure it would be a Pinarello Dogma team issue with Campy, or something similar. I have not had a bike with full Campy yet; just a piece here and there.

pi12_dogma2_movi_12_z.jpg

I guess you could say I ride medium-end bikes. I have a BMC (aluminum frame, carbon fork, 17.5 lbs), and a Kestrel (all carbon, 16 lbs), and an old Bridgestone RB-1 with modern drivetrain (steel, 23 lbs). All of them spectacular to ride, but the lightest one is pure amazing. Makes me want to own a 14 lb bike.

oh ya. I read Bicycling Guide, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen a bike listed for $8-$9k only to realize they mean just for the frame. So put a few thousand dollar set of wheels on that, and another few thousand dollar groupo, and BAM, you're in the $15k arena easy.

I know someone who runs a boutique bike shop where he only builds high end bikes that range from 8 thou into the upper teens for pro triathletes, doctors, lawyers etc. Must be nice.

Yea I think the New England area would be a great place for a bike business. You've got the population density and income levels in certain areas that I saw that support high end dealerships. You've got to have people and bikes to be successful at it on the local scene.

That's enough money to buy a new Harley or Ducati. I guess it's a matter of what you like to do.

If I’m going to spend 10-large on a two-wheeler it’ll need to have an engine attached to it.

To convert a 21-pound road bike into a 14-pound road bike, lose 7-pounds of blubber.

The people that can afford $15k bicycles can ALSO afford a Ducati and Harley. For them it's not either/or, it's both.

Latest posts

Back