1" fork into 1 1/8" headtube, SOLVED, CHEAP, EASY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got a bmx frame with 1 1/8" headtube, 1" threaded chrome fork, bag of headsets and bearings from donors.

Trying to piece this together to give away to a kid. Any way to do this reliably but cheap, if i need to buy a conversion headset it doesnt make sense. Considering a donor bmx is $20. Want to use up some parts and not end up with more stuff.

With your budget, I'd say that you're best off pulling a 1.125" fork off of a donor bike. The right way to do this would cost about $20 for the part... you could try a beer can shim situation with an old Schwinn-spec headset, but this is some kid's steering we're talking about. If/when that fails, $20 will seem like a cheap price to pay compared to his safety...

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels-manufacturing-1-1-8-to-1-bmx-headtube-reducer

I've actually done this with no issues. I dropped the cups from a 1" threaded headset directly into the cups from a 1 1/8" threaded headset. They fit surprisingly well. Then just use the bearings etc. From the 1" headset and it was good to go.be sure to grease everything well and make sure you don't have any excessive play. If you're l lucky like i was it will bolt up with no play and function flawlessly

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have quite a few partial headsets, I can see how I lines up.

If nothing works out, I'll just get rid of the pile. The frame is nothing special, hi tensile bmx. It's got nice blue metallic paint so I was just trying to use it for this spare parts build.

I've actually done this with no issues. I dropped the cups from a 1" threaded headset directly into the cups from a 1 1/8" threaded headset. They fit surprisingly well. Then just use the bearings etc. From the 1" headset and it was good to go.be sure to grease everything well and make sure you don't have any excessive play. If you're l lucky like i was it will bolt up with no play and function flawlessly

this works, here's pics. Full credit to SEANGEE for the solution, Gold Star.

20170422_103928.jpg

1" and 1 1/8" cups
20170422_103939.jpg

Resting loosely together
20170422_105412.jpg
small in the freezer. Large got a heat gun, some smoosh in a bench vice and we have a converted bearing. I suggest some red loctite if anyone else tries this, it's specifically for press fit retention.
A deeper 1 1/8" cup would be nice, or maybe grind the 1" cup down but be sure there's sufficient bearing land. I did neither.

Popped them in a hi tensile new school bmx frame, installed a 1" threaded fork, no issues.

I'll ride it for a bit and be sure it all holds. The wheels for this build are at my other shop, so it'll be a couple weeks before I can report back.

I'm glad it worked out. Let me know if you experience any issues with it just so i know for the future, although i don't plan on doing this again... But you never know

View attachment 49576
1" and 1 1/8" cups
View attachment 49577
Resting loosely together
View attachment 49578 small in the freezer. Large got a heat gun, some smoosh in a bench vice and we have a converted bearing. I suggest some red loctite if anyone else tries this, it's specifically for press fit retention.
A deeper 1 1/8" cup would be nice, or maybe grind the 1" cup down but be sure there's sufficient bearing land. I did neither.

Popped them in a hi tensile new school bmx frame, installed a 1" threaded fork, no issues.

I'll ride it for a bit and be sure it all holds. The wheels for this build are at my other shop, so it'll be a couple weeks before I can report back.
Learn something new everyday

:113:

We'll see how it holds up. When I retrieve a spare wheel set from the other shop and ride it. Bunny hop and light jump testing with my 190 lbs will tell me if its legit.

Wow, that easy - who woulda thunk it? Nice tip!

Latest posts

Back