♠♠♠SCRATCHED♠♠♠

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I´m diving in for my first build from Scratch. Been planing this for a long time and I´m very excited.
First of all I must say this is not my own design, I´ll be taking a shot at a bike that has dazzled me since I first saw it, Sensor´s "Iron Annie"
Requested his permission a long time ago, but life has been making things difficult for me to start it.

sensor said:
well......
if you can deal with my stipulations:
#1: you are the only one who has permission to build one(i mean just 1 frame as well as the only person!)
#2: if anyone asks about it make sure it stated that it is my design(PLAN 9 CUSTOMS and i do have copyright on the design!)
#3: if you do make one you cannot sell it or give it away it must be destroyed if you dont own it!
#4: if you build it you have to ride it!

if those arent to much knock yourself out!

I´ll try my best within my possibilities to honor Sensor and all scratch builders I admire so much, and build a bike up to this site´s quality standard.
Enough words...

1 1/4 inches
2013-03-06%252019.23.43.jpg

Plans...
2013-03-06%252019.25.29.jpg

2013-03-06%252019.27.08.jpg

2013-03-09%252014.47.42.jpg

Fishmouths
2013-03-09%252014.47.51.jpg

2013-03-09%252014.47.56.jpg

2013-03-09%252015.29.23.jpg

2013-03-09%252015.29.41.jpg

2013-03-09%252014.48.04.jpg

2013-03-09%252014.48.10.jpg

All done by hand, conduit bender or jumping on the tubes where I need them bend :shock:
Since I do all the work on the roof, I´m waiting for better weather to weld all together.
Cream tires are on the way and fingers crossed to find a nice 2 speed kick back coaster hub or similar.
Update soon hopefully, depending on how much time Martina (my baby girl) gives me.

Thanks for looking!!!

Independent said:
Darn good start. Hope to see it rolling soon.

Thanks! Hope I can have the time to move along with this one, I can wait to ride it!

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work!
Those fishmouths are spot on! 8)

Luke.

Thanks Luke! those are done by hand, takes more time but they fit right there.

RichL said:
Nice concept and a nice start, I'll be watching!

Rich

Rich, the concept and design belong to Sensor, he has done a superb job on "Iron Annie"
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28009
That´s my goal, but don´t expect that level of achievement, this is my first scratch and Sensor is an Artist far beyond my expectations.

Yea, I saw that you were using sensors concept. How are you bending your metal? By hand, or are you using some type of bender? Any specs you care to share on the gauge of the metal that you are using?
Sorry if I am being nosey :) I'm the curious type :)

Rich

:shock: Glad to see you found some spare time to work on it! Kinda weird seeing it being built from different hands but looks like you're doing her justice :mrgreen:
Looking forward to seeing more(when you can I know a new child and wife doesn't' leave to much spare time)!

Time is really scare I tell you, those girls are very demanding and to tell you the truth is really hard not being with them when I get home from work, I´m very "drooly" around them.
If all goes well I´ll be welding some this afternoon, but I´ll be taking it slow, quality is the priority here.
Thanks again Sensor for giving me the opportunity to build this amazing bike, I promise to do my best.

Rich: I have a conduit bender but it deforms the 1" 1/4 inches tube I´m using. So I use my weight, and the architecture around me to make those bends. I´ll take some pics when I get back from work so you can see what I´m talking about. :D
The back triangles tubes are about an inch thick, so I´ll use the conduit bender on them, see how that turns out.

As for sticking everything together I´ll be using a very heavy, back damaging electric welder that I get to the roof, my working space. The beads are pretty bad looking but they hold, thank God for bondo! :?

Really good work. It was nice of Sensor to let you use his design. Don't forget if you leave
any of the marker on the tubing when you paint it will still be there and make a real mess.
Gonna be watching your build. You have watched us enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes this is all your fault, putting ideas in my head :lol: :lol: :lol:
No seriously, if it weren't for you guys, an all the inspiration I get from your builds, I wouldn't even dream to attempt such a thing, so thanks! :wink:

As you know I been wanting to do this for a loooong time now, and just got the courage to dive in, figured that if I can change a dipper, I can do almost anything :lol:

Thanks for the marker tip, I´ll sure be taking that off, still have to decide the color on this one, I have time though.
I´m honored to have you guys watching the build, all tips are very much welcomed! :mrgreen:

Gdcast said:
still have to decide the color on this one, I have time though.
One suggestion: Sensors "Iron Annie" looks great in black with the black wheels/white tires, maybe you could switch it up and paint it white with white wheels and black tires? :?:
You know I am a sucker for black and white builds, so I may be a little biased... :wink: :mrgreen:

Luke.

Those bends aren't half bad without a roller/bender! Good dang job dude! I agree with Luke, white and black would look killer!

Cool deal GDCast! Thanks for the info, always interesting to hear how people are doing their work... hand bending is not such a bad methid, I have watched a slew of videos over the last 12 months on some very creative work done by guys how chose that way over other more mechanical ways for one reason or another. Have you ever seen this blog http://www.metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php
http://video.handymanclub.com/video/Han ... tal-Tubing

If this is what you are doing :) maybe someone else can benefit from the links.

[edit]If you feel up to it, feel free to post pics of you bending some of your tubing :) I am preparing to do some hand bending on an upcoming build myself, the tree in the front yard is going to give me some assistance on that one :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting your build :)

Rich

Thank you all guys for the nice words!
Just ordered a pair of fat creamy tires!!! Been wanting those for years, and finally bought them for this one, so if they don't get lost in the way, I´ll be using them :wink:
I will consider that color combo although I´m looking for a vintage bobber look.

Rich, that Metalgeek article is very good, seems he has all angles covered :lol: I like the jigs hanging on the wall:
wall_jigs.jpg

Wish I had the space to do it like this, but as you´ll see from the pics I´ll post tomorrow, my working space is quite limited. I tried several ways to bend tubes and pipes, principally because the only benders you could buy around here where over a thousand bucks :shock: in the last couple of years cheaper models are available but at around 700 bucks, so grease knuckle is the best way to go until they can be bought for cheap.

So, is been a stormy week, temperature plumbed and I got the flu and a sore throat... FUBAR :x
But not all is bad, these bad boys arrived:

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0563.JPG

DSCN0564.JPG

DSCN0565.JPG

they´re massive thick and I still cant believe I got a pair of cream fat tires!!! :D I´m so happy!!
Luke, remember from another post you´ve been wondering about this ones? well never been in front of a Thick Brick, but this ones are awesome! ended up paying 90 bucks total, shipping down here included! :wink:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230923788094?ss ... 1439.l2649

Scored two sets of wheels for 10 bucks, plans are to useém all in this build :wink:
DSCN0558.JPG

I spent a couple of hours today dismantling them (don´t tell my wife I´m supposed to be in bed shhhh)
DSCN0566.JPG

and found out one is bigger than the others :x
DSCN0568.JPG

So on the list is to find one the same size the other three and find the way to make aluminum dual rims :shock:

So, is been a stormy week, temperature plumbed and I got the flu and a sore throat... :x
But not all is bad, these bad boys arrived:

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0563.JPG

DSCN0564.JPG

DSCN0565.JPG

they´re massive thick and I still cant believe I got a pair of cream fat tires!!! :D I´m so happy!!
Luke, remember from another post you´ve been wondering about this ones? well never been in front of a Thick Brick, but this ones are awesome! ended up paying 90 bucks total, shipping down here included! :wink:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230923788094?ss ... 1439.l2649

Scored two sets of wheels for 10 bucks, plans are to use´em all in this build :wink:
DSCN0558.JPG

I spent a couple of hours today dismantling them (don´t tell my wife I´m supposed to be in bed recovering shhhh)
DSCN0566.JPG

and found out one is bigger than the others :x
DSCN0568.JPG

So on the list now is to find one the same size the other three and find the way to make aluminum dual rims :shock:
Happily I have an idea that might work, we´ll see.

Keep you fingers crossed and talk to the rain/sickness gods so I can weld the frame this weekend! :mrgreen:

Thanks Luke, I really like those tires. Too bad they cost so much to bring them here, but for the bros in the States they´re a great deal for that money.

I´m felling better and the sun is out, and to make things even better I have all next week off! 8)
After work today I´m going over my folk´s to find the rim I´m missing. Duals coming soon!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back