☣☢ VerBoten ☠ϟ - Elgin Twin Evanaction Build - Big Butt Strikes Again!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking skateboard wheel... or maybe a rubber roller from a boat trailer.

That would go with the bow rail seat brace.

Ebay, but I had to buy two sets to get matching pairs, since they come as one 7/8 and one 1".
Just found out Ian, ifitsfreeitsforme, will be selling these red metal flake coke bottle grips for 7/8 handlebars soon. I'm on the waiting list!!

Just found out Ian, ifitsfreeitsforme, will be selling these red metal flake coke bottle grips for 7/8 handlebars soon. I'm on the waiting list!!

That's great news. I need to look at Ian's sale thread and catch up on his offerings.

It's obvious that the Elgin Twin doesn't have a seat tube, so here is what they did to mount the seat and seatpost. This cool double clamp that you can adjust up and down the frame to the position you want. I am putting mine all the way back and still need to work up some laid back seatpost and additional seat bracing to get the saddle where I want it. Here are some very rough mockups. The final seat position will probably up just a little and back a little too.
I am using this PHAT Lepper Primus Saddle that I got from @ilikebikes

View attachment 10243
View attachment 10244 View attachment 10245 View attachment 10246
Very cool!

Ever since someone told me that the Evanaction was designed by Earl, I have been admiring some of his work. I think one of his best cars was the Buick Y Job. You can't help but be drawn to the grille and fender treatment.
View attachment 10562

The other day I had an idea to get that grille effect in the space between the twin top tubes using spokes joined by nipples and the ends from a couple of hubs. Here is my first rough experiment.

View attachment 10563 View attachment 10564 View attachment 10565 View attachment 10566 View attachment 10567

While I had the "grille" in hand I decided to see how it would look on the side below the top tubes.

View attachment 10569
Got to love an old Buick, great idea with the spokes I like that look it dose tie in that Buick grill look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed the cranks along with these cool teardrops that I got from @Onewheelsqueel over a year ago.
Had to remove the kickstand for now, it was hitting the BB shroud.
I still have work to do on the shroud, it's not a perfect fit currently. Also may need another spacer on the chainring.

WP_20150530_14_26_46_Pro.jpg

Got the Evanaction back together with the longer steer tube. As you can see I am going to have to tweek the Elgin shroud to make it fit together right. If this was a perfect shroud, I wouldn't dare cut or grind it, but it ain't perfect, so I can have a free conscience.

WP_20150530_14_22_31_Pro.jpg

Used some packing tape to mock the hood scoop back up. I have a couple of ideas on how to brace/attach this down the road.

WP_20150530_14_24_05_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the Flying Machine Bikes pacer bars next to the thrift store chair pacer bars. Both are 1" diameter. One set is 18" wide and the other is 22" wide.

WP_20150530_11_23_09_Pro.jpg

I already have mockups with the thrift bars, but here are a couple more with the new stem that raises them up a bit.

WP_20150530_14_25_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20150530_14_25_28_Pro.jpg

Now the FMB pacer bars

WP_20150530_14_29_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20150530_14_30_38_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_30_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_32_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_32_55_Pro.jpg

I haven't totally given up on the FMB Razor bars. I don't think I mocked them since the hood scoop and shroud were added. Here is another test run with them.

WP_20150530_14_36_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_37_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_39_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_40_15_Pro.jpg

While I had the bike out in the open, I tested the spoke grille idea again.
I still like the grille between the top tubes
WP_20150530_14_42_04_Pro.jpg

But I am just not feeling the side tank grille

WP_20150530_14_45_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_14_45_47_Pro.jpg

I really like the pacer bars! the razor bars look just too big. looking great so far.
I wouldn't be able too put a chain on it fast enough. I would have too ride it!:banana::banana::banana:

I really like your build, I thought my handlebars were long until I seen yours wow.
Kenny

I really like the pacer bars! the razor bars look just too big. looking great so far.
I wouldn't be able too put a chain on it fast enough. I would have too ride it!:banana::banana::banana:

There are still some things I need to button up before riding.
I want to get higher grade bolts for the seat brace and will probably make a backer plate to go under the fender cross brace it is attached too.
Still got to work on both the BB shroud and the head tube shroud before they can be used.

I really like your build, I thought my handlebars were long until I seen yours wow.
Kenny

Both the razor bars and the larger pacer bars are too long and will be shortened if I use them.
The razor bars don't look as big in person as they do in the photos. But I do think that they are a bit out of scale to the bike. I think it's going to boil down to the pacer bars once I get a rider to test them on.

I have an opinion, and as always, you can feel free to ignore that opinion with no hurt feelings.

That frame/fork combo has so much promise, but I'm just not feeling any of those bars, and not the modern stem either. I'm not sure what it needs, but those shapes just don't strike me as fitting with the shape of the frame. Maybe something like the old Shelby Airflo bars? Maybe something curvy like the Razor bars, but without the pointy? Maybe a smaller version of the Razor bars, which would be clubman-like?

I have an opinion, and as always, you can feel free to ignore that opinion with no hurt feelings.

That frame/fork combo has so much promise, but I'm just not feeling any of those bars, and not the modern stem either. I'm not sure what it needs, but those shapes just don't strike me as fitting with the shape of the frame. Maybe something like the old Shelby Airflo bars? Maybe something curvy like the Razor bars, but without the pointy? Maybe a smaller version of the Razor bars, which would be clubman-like?

Never any worries about constructive feedback given here buddy!! That's part of what makes the site and especially the build off so rewarding.
I hear what you are saying, and looking over the pics with that in mind I can see it somewhat. I am not locked on any of the bars or stem yet. I have some clubmans but I used those on Flexy so I don't want to use another set. I don't anything as cool as Airflow bars. I have already used ramshorn bars before. I have a cool set of curvy small apes, but those are for Afterburner. Still a lot of time to run through some options in my head or in mockups. Thanks for keeping the wheels in my head turning.

As soon as I saw the lines of those razor bars, I couldnt help myself... They match the frame almost perfectyo_O Just a crazy thought...:grin:

Now that's just crazy (in a good way). Which reminds me, I still need to do one mockup with the razor bars inverted.

You know I now have to think through and mock up something like that now!!!! It could be done with triple tree type bar stanchions above the Evanaction

Along Deven's idea of curvy, I do have these smaller curvy cross bars.
I really need to get this thing ridable before I can truly decide on the bars I want.

index.php

Latest posts

Back