☆ARMADILLO ESPECIAL☆ •FINISHED•

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 minutes between colors and maybe 30 minutes till a green scruffy pad... cheapo Rustoleum.
KIMG0572.JPG

I've done this same style of finish over army green with red and black on a Jerry can I converted into a guitar. Less time between coats leaves the finish soft and easy to work.

Carl.

Last night I picked up some more paint got up this morning and started shooting the frame and realized that apparently the paint I had used was not in stock so they filled its spot with a similar yet warmer green. It looks horrible:confused:. So I'll be stripping the frame back bare and starting over. Maybe I'll try a different color this time.

15 minutes between colors and maybe 30 minutes till a green scruffy pad... cheapo Rustoleum.
View attachment 52119
I've done this same style of finish over army green with red and black on a Jerry can I converted into a guitar. Less time between coats leaves the finish soft and easy to work.

Carl.
Nice, those colors look awesome together.

I went out and picked up some Easy-off and two cans of Rustoleum camouflage in sage green. It may end up having more of a military look this time around which is fine. If I end up deciding to sell it later down the road it'll likely be in San Antonio where there are 3 military bases so that should increase my chances.

Oh boy, I think Odd Job nailed it on the painting thing..."quit before you think you're done. Good advice.
When I think of armadillo paint jobs, I envision a mix of dark and light greys...metallic, with a bit o' copper/pinkish undertones, and a bright spot of red somewhere.
I like the frame. :happy:
F.
armdilo.jpg

I test shot the Rustoleum on some scrap metal and am quite pleased. The camouflage paint is as flat as flat can be and as I've used the black in it before, I can testify it's hard as nails.
This time around I'll shoot a grey primer base and shoot the sage green over that, done. I think the super flat green with satin black headset, cups, and crank, mixed with brushed chrome/aluminum everything else, brown seat and grips, should look pretty good.

Off topic I got offered an internship at the San Angelo nature center today, I'm going back to school for a degree in ecology and wildlife management so that's definitely something for the resume. Plus I get to hang out with these guys;
20170524_171102.jpg
Grey fox
20170524_171018.jpg
Bobcat
FB_IMG_1495688676948.jpg
Tortoise
FB_IMG_1495688853886.jpg
Trash panda
FB_IMG_1495688706786.jpg
and Mrs. Link's favorite, Dreamsicle, the ferret. Plus countless other amphibians, reptiles, mice, skunks, porcupines, how can I lose?

Last edited:
I got the frame and fork most of the way back to bare with just a little sanding/wire brushing needed tomorrow. If the weathers cooperative I should have it in primer by tomorrow evening.

To me, the flat has a nice 'ratty' vibe to it. It's not flat black, but it's like taking the 'flat' and adding some color. Can't remember, are the bars, post, cranks chrome or black on this? If black, I say leave it flat for sure. If they are chrome / silver maybe not.

To me, the flat has a nice 'ratty' vibe to it. It's not flat black, but it's like taking the 'flat' and adding some color. Can't remember, are the bars, post, cranks chrome or black on this? If black, I say leave it flat for sure. If they are chrome / silver maybe not.
Its a mix black cups and crank everything else chrome or aluminum. I picked up some Rustoleum satin oregano which is very close just a bit more tan and I'm planning to shoot that as my top coat, then nock out the shine a bit w/some steel wool. I may even blend it with the undercoat and see if I can get the look of an old penny. We'll see.
Right now I'm trying to find my son's cat that escaped last night, hopefully he shows up.

Shot the satin oregano earlier today and did my distressing, the top coat and base coat were too close, so it ended up just looking like an uneven paint job. So I sanded it smooth, cleaned it off and shot it again with the satin oregano paint.
20170606_203303.jpg
Its more of a khaki color, really, I like the way it looks with the brown seat and grips and mix of black and chrome hardware.
So I'll do a few more coats, knock out some of the shine with steel wool and soap, and call the frame finished. Then I'll just have to put it all back together again. We're going house hunting in San Antonio this weekend, so I can let the paint cure and get started putting this thing together next week.

I'm back from San Antonio, the paint has had all weekend to cure, so its time to finally put this thing together. Heres some teasers of the finished product.
20170612_100424.jpg
20170612_100253.jpg
All thats left is to put on the chain and tighten it up. It should be finished this evening. Then I'll just have to get some good finished pics and put some miles on it.

Paint turned out nice.
Time to roll down the road now!

Latest posts

Back