☆ARMADILLO ESPECIAL☆ •FINISHED•

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And...if you want to alleviate any scratching, use just a spot of vinegar on the wool. Like an eye dropper drop's worth. It will smooth out the rub marks. It will take off paint faster, so try it on your test sheet first.

And...if you want to alleviate any scratching, use just a spot of vinegar on the wool. Like an eye dropper drop's worth. It will smooth out the rub marks. It will take off paint faster, so try it on your test sheet first.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give that a shot.
Apparently I just can't leave paint well enough alone, I was looking at the pristine fresh paint and imagining the heartbreak the first time I crashed and scratched it. My solution, scratch it first intentionally, why not. I can't not build a rat as hard as I may try.

That's funny. I was just mowing lawn, and had to move a couple of 'rats' in the shed to get at the mower. While cutting the grass, and glancing at those two and another outside the BACK40, I decided that not only do I only want to build rats; but now they have to be from the 30's and 40's ! :grin:

My favorite 4 most recent builds, all fit that bill. Just something about the solid nature of the frame construction, the way the steel curves or doesn't, and the stance. I was probably born 20 yrs too late. 1936 would have been just about right.....

I hear you, my 2 oldest bikes ('47 Hawthorne and '55 Huffy) get riden the most. In fact yesterday I took my Electra Ratrod out for a spin and realized it was probably the 4th time I had taken it out. There's definitely something about the older frames that just feels better.
That said, this build, of course is a newer frame, I just needed something light that still had that classic look. Hopefully with a distressed paint job it'll look even more the part.
I bought a Schwinn HD off Chuck last year and built it up for my brother in law who is 6'6" and can never seem to find a bike that fits. I liked the bike so much that when this one came up for sale, I had to get it. The Summit Workhorse is built in the same factory as the older, Taiwan made, pre-Pacific Cycles Schwinns.

Now I'm even happier to have this frame.
20170519_172402.jpg

The box it was shipped in saved my windshield when we got some golf ball sized hail.

Ouch! Sucks for the car body though. We dodged the hail in our part of the city up here, had over 3.5 " of rain though in last 2 days. And now it's in the 40's. I guess those 3 days in the 70's a week or so ago qualify as our 'Summer'.

Now I'm even happier to have this frame. View attachment 51724
The box it was shipped in saved my windshield when we got some golf ball sized hail.

I feel your pain. We went through that 4 years ago, three vehicles, roof, windows, siding, landscape and shed. Not fun to deal with for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a brutal hail storm come through last week, close to golf ball sized! Thankfully my Jeep and the new to me E250 didnt receive any damage. There are others that got it bad around here though. Every time some spring storms roll through I can only think of the folks east of me in tornado alley and hope everyone will be safe!

keep the rubber side down!

Had a brutal hail storm come through last week, close to golf ball sized! Thankfully my Jeep and the new to me E250 didnt receive any damage. There are others that got it bad around here though. Every time some spring storms roll through I can only think of the folks east of me in tornado alley and hope everyone will be safe!

keep the rubber side down!
My grand daughter and her boyfriend's apt got crushed by the storm in Cherry Creek. They had to spend one night in the rain soaked, open ceiling apt before they were moved to a different place a block or so away. The dogs were pretty freaked out. They spent a couple hours in the bowels of the apt building with all the other tennants.

20170522_121307.jpg
20170522_121358.jpg
20170522_121859.jpg
I got my 3rd and a half coat of paint shot today. Red oxide with a peppering of black primer. When it's dry I'll hit it with some steel wool to blend it, then shoot my sage green top coat over that. Then I have to let that cure, then I can distress it. It'll probably look like an old penny thats been sitting outside for 20 years or so when it's done.

20170522_140558.jpg
20170522_141333.jpg
I finished blending, it's almost a shame that this is going to be covered up with paint. The areas where I want there to be a more bold presence of green I left more green so that even if I go through the top coat I'll simply be going into more green.
There's some rain moving in so I won't get the paint shot today but tomorrows going to be warm and dry so I 'll get to it then.

You had me at 'red oxide'...

Hey, if I have one phrase to add to your upcoming 'ratification' of the frame and fork it's this: Quit before you think you're done.

You had me at 'red oxide'...

Hey, if I have one phrase to add to your upcoming 'ratification' of the frame and fork it's this: Quit before you think you're done.
More good advice. I figured I'd go easy on it and just let the inevitable fall overs and crashes continue the process. Thats why I sandwiched the red oxide between the two coats of green. If the red gets scratched through or chipped it'll reveal more green.
I'm pretty sure this one should look cooler and cooler the more beat up it gets.

Well the paint distressing was an epic fail. I've never used Valspar paints before and apparently they dry really hard. I wasn't expecting that and in applying more pressure took off more paint then I wanted to with a very uneven finish. Fortunately it was only the two top bars I was working on so I'll just clean it up and shoot more paint tomorrow. I think this bike is saying it wants to have nice paint in its new non-industrial life.
I'll probably knock a little of the shine out of the paint, but as of right now its going to be painted.
And hey, I found a good durable paint for future use as well as on this build.

Latest posts

Back