☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - Finished with a snag pg 16

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks NICE! :D

The only thing I would change is the green grips to black grips, but that is just me :idea:
Thanks, I am actually working on this as I type. I have the grips (UNI Hand Grenades, made in USA sold by PorkchopBMX.com ) soaking in some dark brown dye I had. If they don't darken up much, I have some new black Oury MTB grips on standby.

I just fixed the frame, first I cut away the paint around the joint with a razor blade, then I ground the metal with my Dremel tool, wrapped the bike in old tighty-whiteys and wet it all down with cold water:

Then I put on some ugly welds:

Took it for a test spin, hopped some curbs and it's doing fine. So I did minimal weld grinding, taped it up and sprayed it black.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama

You'll have some explaining to do the next time your wife washes the whites! :lol:

Glad your back on track!

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC

The Renaissance Man said:
You'll have some explaining to do the next time your wife washes the whites! :lol:

Glad your back on track!
Haha, these are in the rag bin since I switched to boxer briefs a few years ago... TMI?

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - Frame fixed, done again.

The grips did take some of the dye, but I think the green is still wrong, looking like the black ones are going to be the way to go:

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC

Green grips didn't cut the mustard, so I threw them on the ugliest bike in the world (maybe a video later of that bike jumping into a lake) and put on the new black Oury MTB downhill grips. Also made in USA and also sold through PorkchopBMX.com

Feb 25, 2009
Connecticut

yoothgeye said:
Green grips didn't cut the mustard, so I threw them on the ugliest bike in the world (maybe a video later of that bike jumping into a lake) and put on the new black Oury MTB downhill grips. Also made in USA and also sold through PorkchopBMX.com
I want to see that video :shock:

Can't wait to see the new grips :wink:

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC

jats said:
the bb looks good in the grips pic!! looks like you meant it that way :D
Thanks, I was thinking about breaking up the black box with some white paint, but I'm over it, haha.

kingfish254 said:
I like how your using the RRB as your headbadge.
Thanks, I had all intention of etching my own headbadge, but time ran out and I couldn't find the acid anywhere around here. At least I still have the brass for a future project.

Feb 19, 2011
NJ USA

Looks great, but be careful: you're going to bend that post.

Feb 19, 2011
NJ USA

yoothgeye said:
Bicycle808 said:
You think so? They feel pretty stout to me.

I've been building Klunkers and now I go out and buy a factory made one! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75365
I ran a red fluted 7/8" alloy post from porkchop that high on a worksman, and it folded in a hurry. I weigh 250lbs, fwiw.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC

Bicycle808 said:
yoothgeye said:
Bicycle808 said:
You think so? They feel pretty stout to me.

I've been building Klunkers and now I go out and buy a factory made one! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75365
I ran a red fluted 7/8" alloy post from porkchop that high on a worksman, and it folded in a hurry. I weigh 250lbs, fwiw.
Maybe your extra 50 pounds is what did it. :lol: My riding style on the trail will keep me out of the saddle mostly.

Feb 19, 2011
NJ USA

yoothgeye said:
[

Maybe your extra 50 pounds is what did it. :lol: My riding style on the trail will keep me out of the saddle mostly.
Could be, and I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure I'd have bent it at 175lbs, too. Believe me, I was out the saddle all day on mine. A SS bike that weights around 35-40lbs? You gotta stand up to ride that on trails. I didn't feel it bend; I just took it out a dozen times or so, and then noticed it was definitely bent towards the back.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Jul 1, 2010
Roanoke Rapids, NC

Bicycle808 said:
Could be, and I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure I'd have bent it at 175lbs, too. Believe me, I was out the saddle all day on mine. A SS bike that weights around 35-40lbs? You gotta stand up to ride that on trails. I didn't feel it bend; I just took it out a dozen times or so, and then noticed it was definitely bent towards the back.
Well, as long as it doesn't fold, then I'm cool with it, if it becomes a lay back post... I'll like it even better! :mrgreen:

BTW, wasn't making a weight joke on you, I'm overweight and give all the bikes I repair the 200 pound bunny hop test, if it can survive that, then it will survive what these neighborhood kids can do to it.

Feb 19, 2011
NJ USA

No offense taken; 250lbs is 250lbs. And you'll have a 20% better chance of not folding it at 200lbs. but my take on that post is that it looks cool, but is weak sauce. Mine bent, looked like a very mild layback, but i removed it quick b/c it seemed likely to fold if i kept up on it.

Members online

The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles