☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ PINSTRIPES, BRAKES, BAR MOUNT, WHEELNUTS!

Without following this build and knowing what you're looking at, you would be hard pressed to find a bike in this picture! :shock:

9389280925_58277a9081.jpg

I agree that the finish needs to be ruff and tuff for Big Jim. The stripes look great just as they are. Almost there!

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ REASSEMBLY STARTED!

:lol: Good point TRM!

Loving watching all the bikes and builds come together in the final days, the excitement on the site is addictive!!!

Luke.

Thanks Randy! Love your build too, nice stretch job!

Did find something else not to trying to do today, modified the name plate for the bike, will weld up a mount soon... I find it hard to get the lettering straight and even anyone have tips for next time?

9399465182_572d4e2141.jpg

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ REASSEMBLY STARTED! -NAME PLATE.

All the pieces of this ENORMOUS Jig saw puzzle are fitting together BEAUTIFULLY!!

Those brand new Aussie work boots must be your good luck charm :wink: :lol:

( don't know how you do it man! I get burned in long pants and Chippewa boots :lol: :lol: )

:mrgreen:

junknutz1975 said:
All the pieces of this ENORMOUS Jig saw puzzle are fitting together BEAUTIFULLY!!

Those brand new Aussie work boots must be your good luck charm :wink: :lol:

( don't know how you do it man! I get burned in long pants and Chippewa boots :lol: :lol: )

:mrgreen:
Enormous 9 foot long 150 pound jigsaw!
Those Aussie work boots are about ready for the bin now, so many holes from sparks and just about worn through on the soles anyway... I will have to post a before and after pic at the end of the build! :D
(Oh, and I still get burned, but with them you can just lift the foot and shake it to clear the spark while continuing welding...) :wink:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Thanks Randy! Love your build too, nice stretch job!

Did find something else not to trying to do today, modified the name plate for the bike, will weld up a mount soon... I find it hard to get the lettering straight and even anyone have tips for next time?

9399465182_572d4e2141.jpg

Luke.

Looks great with the out of whack letters. It's how most of the manufacturer marks are on my bikes.

The letters look back all crooked because it is the mark of being done by hand. Otherwise, you could set up a wood jig to get the letters straight. Cut a groove that your letter dies fit snugly into, just a long slot that will keep your stampings on the same level and keep the letters from twisting, in between spacing will have to be on you.

Good point Kim_Dude!

I might try that Yooth, except maybe make it from steel, seem to have some spare lying around... :wink:

Luke.

A good day all around!

Started off with the chain adjuster/jack shaft lock mechanism:

9404433039_e753a36cb2.jpg

Park brake bolt was next, was going to do a tricky spring return sliding lever, but could not find a spring to suit in this little town we are staying in, so cheated and just welded a nut to the frame:

9404433099_ca01b1104d.jpg

9404433163_4b4d5a7f63.jpg

Fitted up my giant homemade wheelnuts:

9404433209_2e74711de9.jpg

Then went onto the handlebars, headlight and name plate mount, completely changed the mounting system as I decided the other way was too unfinished looking, not going to share a full pic of them, you can find them soon in the finished bikes thread, but here is a teaser:

9404433325_03a01c4562.jpg

Aside from finding a longer brake cable, I am calling it done! See it soon in the finished bikes thread after I take some glamour shots!

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ CALLING IT DONE!!!

coolest lug nits ever! what size of wrench do they take?

Troy

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ CALLING IT DONE!!!

Couldn't resist taking another to share here, as it may be a day or two before the finish shots are done.

9404433275_dc29c9270c.jpg

And a couple more as I was parking it for the day, with its size and weight it really does feel like parking as opposed to just putting away!

9407377490_6b9c5b0cc7.jpg

9407377446_4ddd8230ac.jpg

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ CALLING IT DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE!

I don't know about anyone else,... but I think that 'ROADTRAIN' sign would be entirely appropriate on the tail end of "BIG JIM"!!!!

All I would need is 4 trailers! :lol:

Convinced my youngest brother-In-Law to take a ride, he is about as short a person as can ride it, he is 5 foot 9ish... Note the full leg extension:

9407822582_1ce6817a7f.jpg

That was taken shortly before he dropped it trying to turn around! :shock: Good thing it is done in a rough and ready way without perfect paint! :lol:

And yes, I agree, he needs a haircut...

I think the bike came out really well, very happy with it!!!

Luke.

DUDE! That's all I can say--awesome build. And partyly in the bush, no less.

Latest posts

Back