★★ SAND TROOPER ★★

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/10 UPDATE

Hey I will pull mine out in a few minutes, open it up, and take some shots for a tutorial! :wink:

How many pair of those black pedals do you have? I need some.

Rockit! said:
Hey I will pull mine out in a few minutes, open it up, and take some shots for a tutorial! :wink:

Thanks, I guess there is a difference between what they were supposed to do new and how they operate decades later.

LOOKING SHARP STEVE!!!

Brian...you received the manual for these things correct?

Does it say anything about them freewheeling?

Rat Rod said:
Brian...you received the manual for these things correct?

Does it say anything about them freewheeling?

I'll read it again, but when I first recevied my manual copy from dbubbleguy, I posted on a different thread

"According to the info, these do not freewheel, they allow you to use your existing coaster brake and also automatically downshift to first gear."

Here you go......when I bought mine it looked brand new. I don't know what they were "supposed" to do when new, all I know is that mine free-wheeled and I didn't want that.

When you open yours up you will see this. Note the yellow pointer to that pawl. I played with it in it's original configuration, and noticed that when backpedaling, that pawl didn't do anything but hang out.

In this picture you will notice that conveniently placed notch next to the pawl.

I found a little spring that fit snugly into that notch. It forces the pawl to engage whenever you backpedal.

When reassembled as you backpedal the tranny basically "locks" into reverse. This seemed to solve the problem! Hope it helps.

Thanks my friend...those photos and instructions are AWESOME!

I have seen a bag of assorted springs at Tractor Supply that would probably have the right spring in there, pretty cheap and easier than trying to find that place you put those springs you saved because you thought you might actually need one some day.

Rat Rod said:
Thanks my friend...those photos and instructions are AWESOME!

I should also mention that the user of these instructions assumes all liability. :mrgreen:

And there is no warranty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you run grease in these things or is it sealed for gear oil?

Do you have to have the yellow pointer to put the spring in? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey thanks from all of us that have one and will eventually need to know how to fix them.
Pictures and how too were awesome...thanks again.

That is one of the best how to's I have seen. Thanks man!!!!
Any chance you could cut and paste it over in the How To section?

Check out what I just found after cracking mine open.

5e8apany.jpg

u3ytu8et.jpg

I didn't have another spring laying around so I straightened the original spring as best as I could and it did the trick.

I'll probably look for a new spring at Lowe's when I go to buy my painting supplies tomorrow to be on the safe side.

I guess the bike shop or the original purchaser of these transmissions had the option of keeping the spring or removing it depending on your rear hub situation. Pretty easy solution to be able to switch back and forth. :D

Here's how mine looked inside...

Once you stare at it for a few minutes you can figure out how the thing works. The two cables turn the wheel on the outside of the housing that engages those white plastic square stoppers on the right into the outer ring assembly. Once the white plastic stopper slides into one of the slots it disengages that ring thus causing a different set of gears to engage....clear as mud right? :lol:

941479_598990956786097_703398443_n.jpg

Wonder if you could make a manual shifter instead of the cables? I'm going to have to play
with mine now. Yall have me curious.

I think Gold Street Custom has done it. Not sure if he used the cables or not.

Latest posts

Back