★★ SAND TROOPER ★★

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★

Gold Street Customs said:
You're going to have to have a handbrake , when you backpedal all you will hear is clicking, but Dana's are fun.

Trying to come up with a solution for this. :?

Rat Rod said:
Gold Street Customs said:
You're going to have to have a handbrake , when you backpedal all you will hear is clicking, but Dana's are fun.

Trying to come up with a solution for this. :?

It's not supposed to be that way. The Dana's are made to work with coasters.
More info here along with info about getting a copy of the manual.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30311&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

I sort of assumed that if you could pedal backwards with the Dana then you would engage the coaster brake.

Thought maybe GSC knew something I didn't.

My tires arrive tomorrow so I'm hoping to get further along in the mock up and testing stage. :D

Keep it up Steve, looking good.... Dont listen to yoothgeye he's just trying to sike you out... :wink:

jon's pub kruza was coaster only

679.jpg

Got my tires from Motostrano today.

Mounted them and threw the wheels on to see how they looked. I had these Felt fenders that I wanted to try out also. Not sure if I will keep them on there, but if I do, I'll end up bobbing the rear fender to match the length of the front.

Realized that the red Schwinn fork's steer tube was too short so I threw this cruiser fork I had on. Ran into the JC Higgins headset issue. Standard cups are too small so I'll have to sort that out eventually.

DSC_0005-19.jpg~original

DSC_0011-11.jpg~original

Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/8 UPDATE

Steve, I figured out how to mod the Dana to work either with a coaster brake or as a freewheel. It's super simple. If you need me to point you in the right direction let me know!

Tire/rim combo looking sharp. Nice full mockup.

This Dana spins freely backward just as if it were a regular crank so I'm assuming it will engage the coaster brake as it should.

GSC...what was your Dana doing that kept it from engaging the brake?

Rat Rod said:
This Dana spins freely backward just as if it were a regular crank so I'm assuming it will engage the coaster brake as it should.

GSC...what was your Dana doing that kept it from engaging the brake?

Mine did the same thing when I got it. I installed it and when it had the resistance of the wheel against it, it slipped.

I was told that the cable adjustments are what keeps that from happening.

Oops, I should have phrased that better. Yeah, the cable adjustment is important for getting it in gear without slipping.

What I meant to say is I couldn't tell that it freewheeled until It had resistance on it. If yours is set to freewheel, all you have to do is open it up and stick a small spring in it. It is super easy, I will send you a pic if you need it :wink:

I wish you would post the fix for one in the How too section. There are a bunch
of them floating around and I'm sure everybody that has one, would like to
know how to make them work....Or just give the secret to Steve. :roll: :roll:

Good work there Boy your moving right along. Hope to see this one when its done.

Uncle Stretch said:
Good work there Boy your moving right along. Hope to see this one when its done.

Yeah, what he said... except he said "Hope to see this one when it's done." and I'm thinking "Hope to see this one get done." :mrgreen:

Made some progress today.

Still working on the mock up stage to make sure things fit and I like the way they look. The previous fork wasn't looking right to me so I thought I'd try this white one I had. Unfortunately like all of the other forks, the steer tube is too short. I can screw the top bearing race on, but cannot install the lock nut on top. I slammed this Dyno stem down to keep it from going anywhere.

For all of the folks who predicted that this Dana 3 speed would freewheel...YOU WERE RIGHT! :x Looks like I'm going to have to figure out the spring trick that Rockit! mentioned above.

DSC_0023-10.jpg~original

DSC_0024-7.jpg~original

DSC_0026-5.jpg~original

"D" stands for "DANA-GLIDE!" :lol:

DSC_0027-6.jpg~original

Went with a half link chain that I had...works great!

DSC_0028-4.jpg~original

DSC_0029-5.jpg~original

Still trying to decide on a color combo....I have ideas...just need to make a final decision. The seat and seat post is another issue. Going to have to hit Slowriderz up for a post and then I may have to drop some coin on a decent seat.

Overall the bike seems to ride well...just doesn't stop right now. :? Hopefully I can get that sorted out and then I'll be ready for the finishing stage.

Latest posts

Back