◘◘◘◘◘ \/\/estern ƒlyer Šuper ◘◘◘◘◘ first post-BO mod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my starting point.

The frame, fork and fenders as received from a nice fellow in the midwest I've been dealing with for a few years. I "met" him offline via eBay. I told him I need something interesting to build and this is the photo he sent me:

8714216502_5d088a8550_b.jpg

According to him it's a post war, CWC built, first year Western Flyer Super. It was spray painted brown at some point, and is quite rusty. I like the peaked fenders.

Here is everything I have to work with. The chainguard came from yeshoney, and the Mustang fog light I got from someone here at RRB, but I forget who. Oh ya, the seat and wheelset was also purchased here on RRB. Can't remember his name either (sorry). And of course there's a bent seat post in there from slowriderz:

8714218142_679e053b21_b.jpg

another look at frame:

8714215778_69aebf50e7_b.jpg

nothing exciting. Will be the usual ratty and simple build for me. Whether it ends up painted, or left in a patina state will depend on how it goes once I start working on it; which probably won't be until late May or June. Too busy right now.

good luck to all.

Re: ◘◘◘◘◘ \/\/estern ƒlyer Šuper ◘◘◘◘◘

Neat parts, good luck in the build off.
Kenny

That just has a wicked beefy vibe about it.
Gonna look sharp!
Good luck

thatismytruck said:
Me likey.

What will you use for grips?

hahahaha! ya I suppose I forgot to mention I'll be using my Coke Bottle Grips I've been selling here.

Brian, the beefy grips I've been selling will add to the beefy-ness.

thanks all.

:shock: 8) :shock: 8) :shock: 8) :idea:

Sweet, my only question is are you not going to use some ifitsfreeitsforme cokebottle grips. I here they are super nice. :wink:

^^^ yes Eric, I will be using them. It would be wrong if I didn't eh?

8678075487_e9b73befa8_b.jpg

Looking good. Show us the head badge and the serial number. I'm way into the CWC frames and they've not really been dated well so every example listed helps paint the overall picture better.

Western Auto was originally an auto parts store widely distributed around the country, and then they went into the what-not business during the depression by giving out store credit for furniture and tires, I think. My best friend's dad had a franchise in the mid 1960s and they lived okay in a town of 1,001 people. You could buy a lawn mower or a recliner and later, even televisions too I think, and some gun stuff. It was a place to go when the Sears store was 45 minutes away.

this is only picture I have of headbadge for now. I'll get the serial numbers tonight if I remember.

8714139025_8197b55651_b.jpg

Looks like you have a skip-tooth front sprocket there and a normal-pitch rear sprocket. Which way are you gonna go?

Thanks for the badge pic.

^^not sure yet. If I have to, I'll file off every other tooth on the wheelset. I have to see how much skippy chain I have first. I'm eyeing bmx cranks too. Or I may just use a bmx chainring on that crankset. I'm all over the place. I also have to consider alignment with the chainguard since it's double sided.

Nice start, Ian! :D Can't go wrong with that frame/fork/wheel combo! 8)

I'll be watching... :mrgreen:

Thanks Nick. Are you in this BO?

That frame is begging for black paint with those wheels and pedals, kind reminded me of this
black_and_yellow_airplane_by_micro5797-d5aar9e.jpg

One to watch for sure, i always like a simple classy bike.

Finding it really hard to find time to work on this. Maintenance at wife's salon, and home chores are keeping me busy.

I uncovered the serial number:
A53593

gusamamy.jpg

And managed to break off the light mounting bracket from the fork in an attempt to turn it 90 degrees.

tadapunu.jpg

If I have my friend weld it back on, does that disqualify me or bump me to the anything goes category?

Don't even know if it can be welded, as it appears to be cast (looks porous)

Latest posts

Back