▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Now with riding video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Well guys, it's been fun again. I finished last year's build-off and had it in my mind that I wouldn't do it again, but I just couldn't stay away. Thanks for the memories.

I had kind of thought that I might add some more bits and pieces to this bike, but time is thin and life is thick. It's a rider and it's a head turner, when I rode around taking photos today others slowed down in the road to do the same. I like this bike, I would have much rather been shooting photos of G.I.JESSE JAMES today, but that's life.

This is a 1956 J.C. Higgins, build in West Germany while the US Murray factory employees were on strike. You can review the build here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=58840

Once again, it has been an honor to build alongside such talented builders as the ones on this forum. I present to you, Higgins the German Spy.

done17.jpg

done16.jpg

done15.jpg

done13.jpg

done11.jpg

done12.jpg

done10.jpg

done09.jpg

done08.jpg

done07.jpg

done06.jpg

done05.jpg

done03.jpg

done02.jpg

done01.jpg

Click for video (sorry for crappy resolution, had to convert from .mov):

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

marcus84 said:
this is one fine rat. the ape is a killer. Great photos too.

Thanks man, she's a head turner and I just laughed when I rode it down sidewalks and my hands were hitting low tree limbs. :lol:

Peatbog said:
Whoa! Those photographs are really cool.

Uh, the bike is cool too, just sayin' the photographs really rock.

Thanks. My kids broke my 14mp point and click just before vacation, so I am back to using my 4mp point and click HOWEVER I borrowed my wife's digital SLR for the photos and all pictures were taken this morning within a mile of my house, mostly all on 1 alley.

Peatbog said:
Especially the first photo. It looks like the swan is jealous of the apes and is trying to stretch its head higher.

Haha, when I first got the swan I thought it's head was pointing up too high, so I heated it with the torch and bent it down.

Awesome RAT! 8) 8)

Looks Great!!! A guy gave me a rough set of 36" apes the other day and the first thing to pop in my head was Yoothgeye!!! 8) :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Looks Great!!! A guy gave me a rough set of 36" apes the other day and the first thing to pop in my head was Yoothgeye!!! 8) :mrgreen:

How are 36" apes measured? They are probably bigger than mine.

I've been waiting for this build to finish...I hope you have extra long arms to go with those knuckle knockers :lol:
Nice job,looks like a fun ride...

Funkme said:
I've been waiting for this build to finish...I hope you have extra long arms to go with those knuckle knockers :lol:
Nice job,looks like a fun ride...

Thanks! You used your 100th post on me, that's awesome! I could actually make these bars longer and I could still reach, my shorter friend could reach also, I need to make a riding video and clear up all these thoughts of the bars being too tall! haha

You're armpits will be nice n dry.

Great photos.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
You're armpits will be nice n dry.

Great photos.

Thanks. Yes, dry armpits and my shirt sleeves gather up on my shoulders, I have to pull them back down when I get off the bike or it looks like I'm wearing a girl's shirt.

Great job a true rat rod.

pizapcom13408370213271.jpg

That is one great bunny rat!!!!!
Especially considering that you had to switch past mid stream.
Congrats on a great true rat build!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!

Rat-rosa-bunny.jpg

Yep the apes and the blue forks... awesome! I would ride it til everyones neck hurt watching! LOL

char said:
Awesome bike! I want it! I bet it's fun to ride :D

Thanks, rides are free, but at the end of the day it stays in my shop. :wink:

deorman said:
Well, the seat and crank are a little lower than your usual fare. :| The grips, not so much. :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's all an optical illusion, the grips are at regular height, the rest of the bike is actually one of those clown bikes dressed up to look like a full size bike.

PeterBuilt said:
Great job a true rat rod.

I thank you and your dog... errr... bunny? Anyway, I wanted this to be a rat, last year I kind of faked the finish, this one is all real.

kingfish254 said:
That is one great bunny rat!!!!!
Especially considering that you had to switch past mid stream.
Congrats on a great true rat build!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!

Thanks, switching from G.I.JESSE JAMES was hard to do but I wanted to get to this point and here I am.

mitchelangelo said:
Yep the apes and the blue forks... awesome! I would ride it til everyones neck hurt watching! LOL

Thanks, at the end of the day I thought about painting the forks, but I thought, if this was my car back in the day and I needed a new fender before cruising later that night, I'd just slap it on and go, maybe paint it later. And yes, when I ride, people take notice, almost as much as when I'm on my tall bikes.

I am loving the pictures and the bike. As a photographer, I can appreciate good pics! The bike is awesome. I love Higgins bikes. Sounds like I'll have to wait in line to take it for a spin!

Latest posts

Back