• BAD NEWS • 1953 Western Flyer Newsboy Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nateyboy said:
Using advanced rendering technology, I've generated a composite of my planned build. Please note that not all parts shown are to proper scale:

d3c2cebf-12d9-4a51-ac03-dd0d03934965.jpg

:p

If your bike build turns out anything like your rendering, you will for sure have my vote.

Punxs said:
Bad news is right..... For the other builders. Great start so far. Something right out of future from the 50's era.
Thanks Punxs! :D There are so many crazy-talented individuals in this BO. I'm just happy to be part of the shenanigans!

love the lines of the frame with the fenders and tank this thing already looks great1

Troy

If i had a frame like that I'd consider having some kind of saddlebag action since that's what it was built for...

Cool project. Looking forward to seeing more.

I am really surprised there are more Firebolt.Newsboys in the build off, especially after we had that run of about 7-8 in the fresh finds section.

Natey,

I am sure you already know this, but in case you don't the front fender brace will not work on that fork as it is too short, probably from a dual springer model Monark fork. You will need 2 standard braces for that fender to make the fender circumvent the tire correctly. I really like your choice of parts and giving you an early nod in this competition. Your choice of sprocket will help pull this whole bike together.

Joe

yeshoney said:
Natey, I am sure you already know this, but in case you don't the front fender brace will not work on that fork as it is too short, probably from a dual springer model Monark fork. You will need 2 standard braces for that fender to make the fender circumvent the tire correctly.
Actually I didn't know that. I'm kind of planning on this one having a bit of a slammed fender look. I'll know more once my tires and wheels get here. Thanks for the head's up!

yeshoney said:
I really like your choice of parts and giving you an early nod in this competition. Your choice of sprocket will help pull this whole bike together.
Thanks Joe--that means a lot! You already know you're responsible for three keys parts for this build, the springer, the saddle, and the seatpost. I opted not to use the Evans fenders because I want some wide tires. They'll find their way onto another project I'm sure! I'm just glad be part of the fun this year. :D

Finally had some time to add a few more parts to the mockup. Long-spring saddle and seatpost (a la Yeshoney), chainguard (Tin Machine), crossbrace bar (ePay), motobike stem (the "other" forum), Persons repop pedals (1018Kustoms), and some black bullet grips (MLC). I was planning on running some 26 x 2.35" tires, but there was so much room left in those Monark fenders that I think I'm going to try a 24 x 3.0" set up. In the meantime, here's some official update pics. :D

5ac7164a-ded9-484f-b4f8-f5b95604f71d.jpg

db08d098-9e8f-48fb-b539-30746328d70d.jpg

2932f637-da8e-4ead-a231-9d08101f0574.jpg

4867459f-6376-40ea-98ff-b0176318f55d.jpg

040141e9-5a3d-4fb8-9617-f578f87fb333.jpg

I need to have the threads extended on the fork about a half-inch for it to tighten up properly. The stem will sit much lower too—just didn't feel like wedging it in there for a mock pic. Tires and wheels should come this week. It will be my first 24" set and I can't wait to see what they look like.

Even more great parts.
Can't Wai to see wheels on this to see the whole effect.

Man, I LOVE that bike! I love the big Monark fenders on that frame! Awesome build!

Looks good! 24x3 fit in my frame just fine. The only issue I can think of is that a 24x3 is a smaller outside diameter as the tires you were considering. While they are fatter, they may not fill the fender as well...but no harm in trying.

Latest posts

Back