Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Twisted Root

Blue Dream

I'm interested in your plan for mounting. Specific hardware? I have similar plans for my '58 Spitfire...but not sure how I'm going to affix.
  2. Twisted Root

lets see those homemade tanks

That is awesome. Is there a build thread where you discuss the antiquing/distressing of the paint job and how you made the graphics?
  3. Twisted Root

lets see those homemade tanks

following.
  4. Twisted Root

Surface rust removal

Well that went poorly, to say the least. The paint job is/was red and white. Over time the red had oxidized to that rust-primer color. Pretty cool patina. The white had turned warm/white/yellow/beige...also fine. What I was trying to do was to remove the more-recent rust on the white areas...
  5. Twisted Root

Surface rust removal

jeez...6 months ago...just now getting back to this. I like the paper-towl idea. Maybe I'll wrap in plastic wrap too, to keep it from evaporating too fast...it's really dry here.
  6. Twisted Root

Mismatched Wheel or Tire Sizes

24 x 3" on the rear. 27 x skinny on the front. 58 Schwinn Spitfire with Monarch fork.
  7. Twisted Root

Surface rust removal

Hey all, my '58 Spitfire has been in the carport for too long. There's light surface rust on the frame (on the paint). What's the best way to remove this without putting the remaining paint in jeopardy? And once it's clean, what can I coat it with (car wax?) to keep it from re-rusting?
  8. Twisted Root

less and less

I think FB is the issue. I recently joined some web forums specific to my other vehicles (VW Syncro, Merc SLK, Old Honda CB350), And ...... if I dont follow all the same in FB, in real time. FB doesn't make it easy to go back and search threads for specific info. But it's "alive" with thoughts...
  9. Twisted Root

M3 final derivation (deviation?)

I also wanted to clarify/brag how amazing it was the the vintage 333 Shimano shifter worked perfectly with the modern SRAM hub. My mechanic guaranteed me that it was pure coincidence/good luck, and not an industry standard. Consider that a good sign for other 3-speed projects I had plans to...
  10. Twisted Root

Thanks to everyone appreciating my bike. And to Subadrew, congrats on keeping your priorities straight. It made her giggle (once I explained it).
  11. Twisted Root

OK, here are some other shots. I don't expect them to increase my chances of winning the contest, since using feminine beauty to sway the voters is, well, cheating. But I love my sweetie, and she was very supportive of me doing this project (the perfect woman). She actually thinks the bike is...
  12. Twisted Root

So here it is... Not where I expected, but very successful in many of the goals I had set forth. The biggest change of plans was to keep the original paint. I know that many on this list are used to seeing old bikes, and thus are comfortable with strong mods, and creative changes. But as I hit...
  13. Twisted Root

M3 (M-cubed) Rolling Chassis

Thanks. It's actually a 24 (x 3) and a 700c. Of course, I thought that I thought the idea up, until I really started paying attention to the photos in the gallery. Lots have done it before me. But I guess it's cause its such a good look. My goal now is to do those rollers justice with the rest...
  14. Twisted Root

The PinkWidow

That is the cutest thing ever!
  15. Twisted Root

Re: Inception of M3 (M-cubed) OK, so the mockup has begun... Q: What's the best thing about being a grown-up? A: Being able to work on your bike in the living room, without having your mom get on your case (at least that's the PG-13 answer, for this site). PS my girlfriend is great...She...
  16. Twisted Root

Rumble Seat (Rollfast tandem)

Hi, Can you point me to some finished photos of the Rumble Seat? I want to show my GF. I just got a big dose of approval for entering RRB#6 (I was surpirsed) and we were discussing general aesthetics. (Thank god for artist chicks.) I'd like to show her that bike. I've got some steampunk tandem...
  17. Twisted Root

"Deluxe 6" Rat Racer build diary ALMOST DONE!!!!

Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer Yes, great bike! I love seeing the creativity AND skills. I'm learning a lot.
  18. Twisted Root

Re: Inception of M3 (M-cubed) OK, you all are so good at documenting your ideas, philosophies, procedures and technical details...it makes me feel behind on this. (.... my day-job.) But I might as well give some hints on my plans and a few new peeks at my parts. I'm really in love with the...
  19. Twisted Root

24 x 3 tire question

Yes, used the Weinmann. Had it build on a Sram 3-speed with coaster brake. It took custom spokes to put that hub on a 24 inch rim. My Step-dad, who fancys himself a bike mechanic wondered about that fat tire on a skinny rim. But I remember it to be in-spec, and, wider might challenge the...
  20. Twisted Root

24 x 3 tire question

Just tentatively. Looks like I will have enough room. Still need to determine chain clearance, etc. So, yes, it fits in there, but no, it's not actually running yet.
Back