Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. R

Bike engine opinions

Oh Yes Please! See Hot Rod Magazine Dec 2013. There's a gold '57 Ford on the cover. The Roddin' At Random column features a Radio Flyer go cart thing powered by an old outboard. The guy used a heater core from an old Mustang as a radiator. Lots of serious engineering but so very cool. Sorry...
  2. R

Huffy Cruiser Budget Build

What a cool bike! I'd be tempted to add some tall handlebars...
  3. R

Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

I picked up a 7 speed version of the Onyx in the spring, an Astra. I posted this in the gallery but since this thread made it back to the top I thought I'd show it here. I kept the frame set, wheels and shifter and swapped everything else out of my parts stash.
  4. R

WalMart DunRite

The geometry of the frame and the angle and length of the bars don't really allow the Flexstem to do it's thing but it looks way better than the multi-angle goofiness that came in the box. I'm quite taken with the aesthetics of dirt track motorcycles of all vintages. The 29" rims bring some of...
  5. R

WalMart DunRite

When I saw this Genesis Astra with 7 speeds, 29" rims and aluminum frame It seemed to be a good starting point for a man sized build. Here's what you do to a Wal Mart bike... 1) take the dopey stickers off 2) go paw through your collection of parts 3) keep the frame, wheel set, shifter and...
  6. R

Safety Concers

There was danger of hijacking another thread because I mentioned some frustration with safety concerns being the among first responses when someone offers an idea or asks for input. I appreciate that RRB forums offer a free exchange of ideas and that 'free' means that not everyone is going...
  7. R

New source for springs

Safety Concerns See New Thread
  8. R

New source for springs

Apologies CeeBee PM sent The springs in question are not really intended to be springs at all. They're handles wound in a spiral to reduce heat transfer. I meant to bring this up this in my first post but I got distracted and posted prematurely.
  9. R

New source for springs

There seems to have been an increase in posts lately expressing concern based on safety issues. When read slowly this 'concern' has a strong whiff of superiority and unsolicited judgement. C'mon people! We build and ride RatRodBikes. Most of us our grown ups still doin' kid stuff. The risks...
  10. R

My Freshly Completed 67' Schwinn

Forum Rules dictate that we're not supposed to get into conversations seeking to define Rat Rod. BUT- oh YES! Very well qualified! Cool bike. I'd ride that thing until unable to pull my hands from the grips.
  11. R

Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams... funny stories Sometimes a deal has all the signs of falling apart and then...cue angel voices. I listed my '62 Schwinn Corvette on local C'list here in Flint, MI. This bike was modded and rodded and had no appeal to any sane person who wanted to do a...
  12. R

VBrakes for Powdercoat?

SOLUTION FOUND! The Genesis Astra is a 7 speed version of the Onyx 29" cruiser sold at WalMart. A wheel swap wasn't in the cards as 29" Wheels aren't to be found in any dumpsters around here. We've established that powdercoat makes for a pretty bad braking surface. These are the same wheels...
  13. R

VBrakes for Powdercoat?

Question Answered- No, there are no brake pads that work well on powdercoat. I know enough about WalMart to know that there could very possibly be a pad that works well with powdercoat but they're only installed on bikes with backward forks. So I thought I'd ask. I have no complaints...
  14. R

VBrakes for Powdercoat?

808, 1 properly functioning VBrake on the rear is sufficient for the way I'll ride an around town RatRod cruiser. The strategy only needs revision if a solution can't be found, bringing us to the original question. 29" alloy rims are far from common in the places most of us look for upgrade...
  15. R

VBrakes for Powdercoat?

Hey All, I broke down and bought my first brand new bike since I was 8 years old. My Bike Snob status is in serious jeopardy as I picked up a Genesis Astra at WallyMart but replacement of weak components should keep me in the club. I REALLY like this bike! Its man-sized. Here's the problem-...
  16. R

Art Show Invite, Bikes Featured!

Hey Fellow Ratters- My brother Alan (Apoc) and I, Steve (Stevo) Close are pleased to invite you to the CloBro Art Show in Grand Rapids INCLUDES A COUPLE RATTY BIKES! Green Lion Gallery 150 E. Fulton, downtown GR. Opening Party is Saturday November 19, 7-10 pm. If you 'get' the stuff others...
  17. R

500 day Gasser

What's the story on the tank? I can think of 1,000 uses for one of those. The photo on the river with the ripples through the plexi is very cool BTW.
  18. R

500 day Gasser

Great theme! Great execution! The tank is really cool and the seat is righteous. Though I'm not fond of stranger's suggestions to my own projects let me offer this: Most of the legit gassers back in the day had some kind of name lettered on the door. The perfect yellow plexi panel is beggin...
  19. R

CHESTNUT HOLLOW ON AMERICAN PICKERS TONIGHT

+1 on Frank not being a car guy. The seller wasn't one either. It was drivin' me nuts that they kept calling it a roadster. My wife was less than amused (that's why you love me honey) with my running commentary on the crazy bike stuff and the general automotive ignorance.
  20. R

Steam Power!!!

My Steam Power Poem... I'd love to hear it run. Gotta weigh a ton I'll let you ride it, my nerves can't take the fun.
Back