Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. FunkyStickman

New Whip: '65 Rambler Fastback

Pictures say it all. It's a '65 Rambler Marlin, has the original 287 with 3-speed auto. And what car thread would be complete without video of it running?
  2. FunkyStickman

♫♪ Rat Klunker, a.k.a. "Slow Blues!" ♪♫

I've come a long way. In the local cycling group, I'm known as the "Slow" guy, I always show up with my steel touring bike and almost always bring up the rear. This bike fits into my "slower is better" lifestyle, and lets me get some dirt trails in without swapping wheels on (or having to wash)...
  3. FunkyStickman

Rat Klunker (FINISHED! With 2 hours to spare!)

I'll just put this here... will be coming up with a build plan soon. Stay tuned!
  4. FunkyStickman

OCC rear wheel spoke question

I'm planning a build (see the RRBBO7 Hype thread for info) and it possibly involves an OCC 20x4 rear wheel. I used to have one, sold it to a member here years ago cause I didn't need it... :oops: Can anybody tell me how far apart the spoke holes on this rim are? i.e. the 36 holes aren't in...
  5. FunkyStickman

Rat Chop Suey stolen... new RRB build?

A couple of weeks ago, I had rebuilt my RRBBO4 bike's rear wheel to be a singlespeed coaster, and since it no longer had my Sturmey 8-speed hub, I put it in the bike rack in my yard for the kids to ride (what? Your yard doesn't have a bike rack?) Anyway, some stupid nosepick teenager in the...
  6. FunkyStickman

Zombie Trike Build!

Well, I finally got the tubing together to start welding up the frame of my Atomic Zombie trike. My dad brought his welding machine over, and is showing me how to set it up and work it. I'm helping him lay out the angles and make the miter cuts, and I will be building the wheels and assembling...
  7. FunkyStickman

Surly announces 26x3.8 tires!

They are now making a bike with 4" rims and 4.7" tires! And a new 3.8" semi-slick called "Black Floyd." http://networkedblogs.com/m8YUA Discuss! :mrgreen:
  8. FunkyStickman

Custom Wheel Building...?

Since I've been stuck at home for the last month, I've been thinking about spending more time doing things I love. One of the things I enjoy is building wheels for my bikes, which always seem to need some configuration that you can't buy (or I'm too cheap to buy). I've been tossing around the...
  9. FunkyStickman

Been offline, got hit by car!

Been missing my rat rod bretheren lately! I had high hopes of doing the build-off this year, but things just got too busy. So, I have been commuting by bike for a year now, 3 or 4 days a week, and everything was going peachy up until 5 weeks ago. A guy ran a red light and hit me doing 30MPH...
  10. FunkyStickman

New commuting/touring bike

Just built this bad boy after commuting on a mountain bike for 9 months. This is a Surly Long Haul Trucker, it's the 26" wheel version, so I swapped over all my drivetrain parts from the MTB. I built the wheels, too, including a dynohub.
  11. FunkyStickman

Thinking of building a Pashley-alike

Well, I've been bike commuting for the last 6 months or so, and have lost about 40 pounds (yes, really!) When I go on group rides now, I'm keeping up with guys on carbon bikes on my steel mountain bike with rack, fenders, lights, and saddlebags (yes, I can... I don't ride with the fast group...
  12. FunkyStickman

I've been hanging out with roadies too long...

In a momentary lapse of reason, I bought color-coordinated slicks for my mountain bike commuter... :oops: I think I need to paint it flat black now. After snapping myself back to reality by browsing the RRB gallery, I have seen the error of my ways. :D (but man, those are smooth rolling...
  13. FunkyStickman

Delorean tech day! I was there!

Long story short, I was invited to join the DMC club's gulf south tech day. Turns out the guy's shop is literally a half mile from my house! Here's some shots I took when I wasn't drooling on the cars. (I figured you guys wouldn't mind seeing these, but I sure as heck enjoyed it)
  14. FunkyStickman

Built my first motored bike!

Built my first motored bike! And man, did I learn a lot. I don't have any in-progress pictures, and I built it for my dad's friend. But I basically took a cheap (extremely cheap) cantilever bike he supplied me and put a cheap 48cc 2-stroke kit on it. I learned a few things: Primarily, nothing...
  15. FunkyStickman

New Specialized "Fat Boy" chopper?!??

Has anybody seen this bike??? Aluminum frame, 24X3" front wheel and 24X6" rear wheel!! So now it looks like Specialized makes 24X3.5" tires! :D And you can get it in "Satin primer/Rust Rat Rod!" DO WANT! This bike would rock with an internal gear rear hub. Somebody's got to do it...
  16. FunkyStickman

Making a ghetto layback seatpost

I just got a new Schwinn "no pressure" hornless seat for my chopper, after the horrible saddle sores I got from the free seat I put on it. The only problem, the seat is really too close to the pedals. I had a 1" layback post on the bike, but it bent with very light use. So what to do? Make...
  17. FunkyStickman

Bighit's interbike top 10

Did you get pics of that awesome Sturmey/Sunrace 8-speed town bike? That thing was pretty! And they're starting to anodize stuff, too, I love it.
  18. FunkyStickman

MS Bike Tour 10/3-4, riding the chopper 150 miles!

That's right, for the Multiple Scleroses Society, I'm riding my Rat Chop Suey bike 150 miles in 2 days! Now you know why I built it with a Sturmey 8-speed rear hub! Here's the bike, in all her RatRod glory Here's some "saddlebag" bottle cage mounts I fabbed up, and a bracket for the pump...
  19. FunkyStickman

Red rims and white walls

Red rims and whitewalls look classic on just about any dark-colored bike. There's a reason they used to build cars like that!
  20. FunkyStickman

Southern Louisiana

Here's some shots I took while doing my morning 14 mile ride. I usually do two different routes, this is the pretty one ;) Early morning sunrise over the Bayou. My street. Nothing fancy here. Take a few turns, and you stumble upon miles and miles of sugar cane fields. Yes, sugar cane...
Back