Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

The Train Rat, Larry's Old Bike, The Redmoon Rider, The Redmoon Cosmonaut, My Commuter. I call it many things. I've been riding it to the Redmoon Theater (http://redmoon.org/) from Evanston for 5 weeks now, putting about 25+miles on it a day, 4 sometimes 5 days a week! I need to get some pics...
  2. sprucemoose

Chicago Monthly Ride ~~ LETS DO THIS! ~~

Re: CHICAGO MONTHLY RIDE @@update for June top of page five@@ ....! Just realized this will be the 19th and I'll be at a wedding! sorry guys.
  3. sprucemoose

Chicago Monthly Ride ~~ LETS DO THIS! ~~

Re: CHICAGO MONTHLY RIDE @@update for June top of page five@@ I'll be finishing up a day of work pretty close to the Twisted Spoke, so I might be able to make this ride... :)
  4. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Riding it to work today! Still gotta go pickup some cable for the front brake, but my first bike with derailleurs is pretty well set. :)
  5. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Moving along, I've changed the handlebars and installed the cables. I will still need to adjust everything, cable wise. I am planning on putting on a rack and basket too. Some more detail: Even more detail:
  6. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Well who really wants to ride a broken bike? I took everyone's advice and ordered a replacement BB (same make and model) for the low price of $16. I imagine despite this being described as entry level it will be just fine. Once it arrives I'll get building. At this point I might need to buy some...
  7. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

The Bone Machine is done and I've been really enjoying my rides for the last week and a half. :mrgreen: Here's the run down: Sunline V3 bars Oury Mountain Bike Grips Avid Speed Dial 7 right lever No-name left lever Weinmann 519 front wheel Continental Town & Country front tire Shimano S8...
  8. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Well I was just reading up on the Altus components and it was described as "entry level" and good for kids or people that take it easy on their bikes. I think its probably just fine. I mean I'm not jumping of mountains and such... The buddy I got this bike from took a couple bad spills: 1. hit...
  9. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Re: The TRAIN RAT: What would you do? I'm looking for some recommendations, because I'm all set to drop like $100 on this bike and that would probably be a bad idea. (1) So here is the run down: For roughly 2 months this bike will be parked in a public space exposed to the elements and at a...
  10. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Half built! The paint came out pretty great to my eyes. I'll have to get some more close up shots. I think the BB might be shot, which kinda sucks, but ebay usually has some cheap ones. So, do you want to steal it?
  11. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Oh man yes. I am a hop head. The Ranger was very good. I also just had the Flying Dog 20th Anniversary "Raging B___" which was excellent and definitely worth a try. :D
  12. sprucemoose

High School Drop Out

This bike looks great! I dig it. Fat tires should be on every bike. This thing looks fast, simple, and tough.
  13. sprucemoose

The TRAIN RAT

Hello Rat Rodders! My first real rat begins now. I recently acquired a Schwinn Mesa http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25694 Which I am building to leave at the train station for a couple months while I intern at a theater. I'm trying to put very little money into it and make it...
  14. sprucemoose

Schwinn Mesa [hand me down] TRAIN RAT and then...?

I ask because when I did a search I found a lot of guys customizing them into fixed gears for bike polo. Anyways, I'm Donovan, nice to meet you. :)
  15. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

Since I fixed the chain tensioner there's no more clicking so I think the chain is fine. The chain is definitely a bit beefier than a chain for a geared setup. Which I think means it will hold up better to wear and tear. I think a green seat is a great idea, if I can find a comfortable one...
  16. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

The Bone Machine AHHH I get it! :P :idea: I was wondering what was up with this chain tensioner. I was searching online for the last week trying to get some tips. The installation instructions are all text and I wasn't fully understanding it. The reason I felt like the chain was too slack...
  17. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

You are the BONE MACHINE Why does there have to be so many different seatpost sizes? Seatpost should arrive next week. However I rode over to the LBS to get it properly sized and it rides really nice. Of course my legs got quite a workout not having a place to sit. So far its a fun ride! :)
  18. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

Conversion complete, although I feel like the chain isn't quite tight enough. I used a Forte conversion kit and it went very smoothly. The chain wheel is a mis-order from a year ago that I never returned. Speaks to the problem of ordering online. It would have cost about as much for all the...
  19. sprucemoose

Schwinn Mesa [hand me down] TRAIN RAT and then...?

Cool--gotta trust the guy named schwinnmesa. Is there a bit of a cult following for Mesa's?
  20. sprucemoose

Specialized HardSNOT!

Re: Specialized HardSNOT! -- The Bone Machine Well paint is stripped again. Rear cassette removed. Bars, stem, headset, fork, bottom bracket installed. Sadly my $100 is going to turn into $200+ because my stockpile parts aren't fitting. I'll need to find pedals and a new seatpost. Plus I'd...
Back