Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. dougfisk

anyone near Toledo, OH?

Would anyone near Toledo OH be willing to pick up and ship? ...a classic Seller can not or will not... PM me if interested
  2. dougfisk

1936 Schwinn "C Model"

OH NO! ... not another one... :eek: 1936 Schwinn #C97 - I bought this on RRB a while ago, absent wheels and seat; but complete with a bent frame and bent fork and cruddy spray bomb repaint(?)... I scrubbed the cruddy primer/repaint off with steel wool and lacquer thinner revealing a pretty...
  3. dougfisk

Please ID these rims?

Who can ID these rims? They are drop center, more recent than the 60's I believe. Their unique characteristics are sharp angular bends, very raw completely unfinished welds at seams, and some numbers stamped. They are real straight with nice plating so I built them up:
  4. dougfisk

1936 Elgin Robin

I always considered the fenders and light the weakest aesthetic elements on an Elgin Robin. I was happy to find a Robin missing the front fender and light... This left me free to remedy the shortcoming as I saw it. I am directionless this weekend, so here I am trying out a couple options...
  5. dougfisk

Bomber Group Pics

I was riding a lot , 10 miles a day, and decided to try out a variety of frames and other components in order to find the best fit for me. Well here is where we stand today... They are lined up in order of their placed-in-service date. Blue 37 Schwinn, Red 46 Murray built J.C. Higgins, Red 38...
  6. dougfisk

1940 Shelby-built Hiawatha

This is a 1940 Hiawatha built for Gambles dept store by Shelby on their top-of-the-line Airflo frame. All wishbone style frames through 41 at least were called Airflo in Shelby nomenclature. This scimitar style top tube configuration came out in 40 and lasted only through 41 I think. No...
  7. dougfisk

Blackwall US Royals are In!

The blackwalls are available now. :) http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?53663-U-S-Royal-Chain-tread-black-wall-tires-Pair-New-65-00-shipping-quot-all-black-tire
  8. dougfisk

Original Paint Recovery Breaking Bad!

It is better to be lucky than good... I bought this frame because I saw the light aqua color peeking thru some chips and thought it was the original paint... and that a clever fellow like me might resurrect it. :) Turns out... this frame had 4 layers of paint. The aqua was layer 2. The...
  9. dougfisk

Possible Rare Murray?

FWIW - I think this might be one of those rare transitional Murray's http://www.ebay.com/itm/121266331842?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  10. dougfisk

New Balloon Tire Available

This is a big deal - the first and only accurate reproduction of a vintage balloon tire: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?51277-U-S-Royal-Chain-tread-whitewall-tires-Pair-New-70-00-shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131074276657
  11. dougfisk

The Mother of All Bent Forks

Let's review... we started with this::: We apply some of this... A little of this...(OK, maybe a lot...) A dab of this... A dollop of this... A dash of this... And a smidge of this... Oh Yeah... Who's your daddy now... :eek::
  12. dougfisk

I Want the Fastest Balloon Tires!

I ride a lot on 26 x 2.125 tires. I am on a mission to find the best combination of parts for this purpose. I can't help but notice the differences in tires. It seems that fastest tires I have are, believe it or not, Kenda Flames. What in your experiences are the fastest you have found?
  13. dougfisk

Just Foolin Around - 1941 Colson

Immediately after removing everything that was not correct or original... not much left...
  14. dougfisk

Need Help - I.D. This Chainguard

What is this chainguard for? And no, it is NOT for a Firestone Flying Ace. :roll:
  15. dougfisk

Recommend Aluminum Rims?

I would like to try some high quality good looking aluminum rims (hoops) on my next bomber, (26 x 2.125 tires). I know nothing of the BMX / Mountain bike era. Does anyone have recommendations to make?
  16. dougfisk

home made (sort of) cone wrench

I ride a lot and am a stickler for performance and, therefore, carefully adjusted hubs. The adjusting cone on the old Musselman (Elgin, Higgins) rear hubs require a 1 inch wrench. I have never encountered a 1 inch cone wrench... maybe they exist, I don't know. I found this wrench at a...
  17. dougfisk

Shelby Built Hiawatha Bomber

This is a 1938 or so Hiawatha built for Gambles Dept store by Shelby. Most of what is pictured here is original to the bike. I am kind of scrolling through all the old frames trying to zero in on the best fitting frame for my daily 5 to 10 mile rides. This one differs from my others in that I...
  18. dougfisk

Tire Pump Maintenance

I have a recent Serfas tire pump. I noticed it dragging and binding lately. I took it apart to see why. It uses a rubber o-ring as the plunger seal. There was no grease or oil present, but some black powder, maybe graphite? My question is, does this design require lubrication? And if so...
  19. dougfisk

More fork fixin!

When a swingset just won't do... The bend was 90% in the blades themselves, and was notable. In my excitement, I did not get a "before" pic. See how the ram is about 2 & 1/2 in extended; it started at less than 1/2 in extended. This was a severely bent fork. Only 103 today; a bit of a cool...
  20. dougfisk

1950 Murray-built Mercury

I got this one ready to go for my daughter in case she wants a bike at college this fall... If she doesn't, I guess I will sell it. I scrubbed off a black spray bomb paint job to reveal an older brush enamel paint job underneath. The color looked nice, so "a bird in the hand..."...
Back