Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. S

Handlebar slipping

I second the carbon paste
  2. S

Upgrades to 65 Schwinn Coppertone

Nice bike bro !!!! Ive been going with Bendix 2-speed auto hubs and standard 46 front. It will pedal up almost any hill you encounter at the beach and still be super fast. Here's my 68' Coppertone.
  3. S

Profile crank/sprocket install problems help ( on old Schwinn DX )

TBM, I think the problem with the Madera cranks was some powder coating was sprayed where it shouldn't have. The rep who sent them was adamant that they are virtually the same crank. The original cranks did slide on/off like you said after the first installation. One day I will get around to...
  4. S

What fork/shocks to look for for a 49' DX Klunker project and other thoughts for a newb

I now have the bike together with a new set of cranks the rep sent me. They were really hard to get on but its the first time Ive had everything assembled tight with parts that work and aren't flawed. The chain line is just good enough to not cause problems. Ive been riding the bike around the...
  5. S

Thanks for those replies TBM! Ive pretty much resolved the issues. The rep at Profile sent me a new set of cranks and the correct hat washer/ spacer , all he had was Madera though, but they are the same. It sits more flush against the sprocket. The new cranks did NOT want to go on though. Maybe...
  6. S

What fork/shocks to look for for a 49' DX Klunker project and other thoughts for a newb

Diff subject... A while back I posted that Im using a Profile Bottom Bracket and crankset. I have some issues but my main problem is with chain line.. I'm having a hard time getting the sprocket as close to the BB shell as possible. If you look at a stock Schwinn chain ring they are "bowled in"...
  7. S

I have already resigned myself to the fact that I'll prolly go with clincher type front brakes or a different fork eventually. This whole bike has been a pathfinder for me so there will be changes. I love the way it looks though !! ....learning a lot ! I will def resolve this before I go too...
  8. S

Hey can any of you chime in on this?
  9. S

Parts interchangeability between the older bikes?

Love this ! Thanks B808 !! I've spent the last year accumulating old parts and consonantly measuring/re-measuring stuff with my caliper to find this info out ha ha !!!
  10. S

Update / STill need help- Questions 1 and 2 are partially answered for me but after repeated contact with Profile techs I'm still having issues so maybe someone here can chime in. (Disclaimer, I'm still waiting on answeres from Profile so Im not trying to bash or talk negative about them ) As...
  11. S

Acquire welding tools and learn how to use them has been added to my post retirement activities! Looks great !
  12. S

Learned a lot on this one !!!!! But she is a dream to ride ! Loving the gear ratio, shuold be awsum on dirt trails . Chain line and BB issues still need tweeking, and I spent a good while cold forging the drop outs....what a huge diff that ..... makes, I know what Ill be eyeballing on my next...
  13. S

Ive tried to add washers and spread the fork legs and it gave me better results but the cable/pin still contacts the fork and the tire is noticeably off center . Just for schitz and giggles I tried it on the opposite side and it seems to work perfect?! Is there any reason to not run it this way ???
  14. S

Found the problem with this one, I cut the inner axle spacer just a little too much ( it was ~6mm too wide to allow the cups to press in completey ). It was not making contact with the bearings ( Inside the hub ) so tightening the axle bolts was just tweaking the bearings inward with out having...
  15. S

SA drum brake issues, I was able to "fabricate" a strong metal strap for the brake arm but its not perfect. It still moves a little when applying the brakes. I think its just the fork shape. Its 32mm round , ( not flat / ovalish like regular forks ) , and the brake arm is at a weird angle so it...
  16. S

UPDATE- I shined the frame up a little, got the wheel set done , and assemble partially to get a feel. I installed the PROFILE AMERICAN "HOP UP" BOTTOM BRACKET with no problems but I am having trouble with the crank arms and sprocket. I started a thread in the Help section here Crank Help
  17. S

I'm attempting to install this Profile RHD RACE CRANKSET and Bolt on Profile sprocket. I spoke to a rep at Profile and I'm pretty sure I purchased the correct parts and length spindle for my DX frame. I used the AMERICAN “HOP UP” BOTTOM BRACKET(19MM & 22MM) from Profile. 1- Do I have the spacer...
  18. S

Front wheel done , yummy! Need to come up with something creative for the drum brake arm clamp,
Back