Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. UncleKudzu

Setback seatpost for cruiser?

Hey, people! Been out of the game for a while with ticker-related issues and wondered if anyone has come up with the ultimate easy seat post setback solution for cruiser bikes while I wasn't looking? Gotta get up high and a little to the back on my Murray rust ride. That bike is so much fun to...
  2. UncleKudzu

Rebar for Bike Frames?

as seen at Make: bike frames made with rebar!
  3. UncleKudzu

Article: 'Urban Cycling' Spawns Businesses

At The LA Times:
  4. UncleKudzu

Skull Pedals

Skull Pedals. what else can i say? http://monkeylikeshiny.blogspot.com/201 ... edals.html
  5. UncleKudzu

Homemade Tubing Roller

here's a homemade tubing roller at Mother Earth News. i have no idea if something like this would be useful in bike building.
  6. UncleKudzu

The Gnash Single *(2 weeks later)

taking advice from Multipass's How to build a low-buck Fixie over in Other Bikes, i went to work on this 1983 Ross Force One mountain bike that i found at a thrift store and converted it to a freewheel single-speed. the seat that was on it was just a plastic shell, so a trip to the...
  7. UncleKudzu

Posture?

ok, i got some ideas for a single-speed from Multipass's Low-buck Fixie sticky in the Other Bikes section and put together a freewheeled single from an early 80s mountain bike and other parts i had laying around. everything works pretty well and the frame fits me without jacking the seatpost up...
  8. UncleKudzu

Fat Tire Extreme

bike with really fat tires spotted at instructables. and, instructables being what it is, the builder shows how he went about putting it together.
  9. UncleKudzu

Worldbike Cargo Bike Workshop Video

this short cargo/long bike workshop video at YouTube is pretty interesting. long bikes made from chopped up bikes. has anyone here tried anything like this?
  10. UncleKudzu

Three-speed from triple chainring?

hey y'all, i found a decent old mountain bike frame that i was thinking about putting a coaster hub wheel on (yes, it has horizontal drop-outs). while looking at it i started wondering if i would have a three-speed if i left the front triple chainring and deraillers in place. i guess a coaster...
  11. UncleKudzu

Project Molotov (motorized WIP)

my ever evolving, never finished motorized bicycle project dubbed The Molotov. 24" lady bike literally pulled from the gaping maw of a dump truck. 26" front tire and wheel from ancient Japanese mountain bike on fork from a recent Chinese Schwinn Jaquar found at a thrift store. Handlebars and...
  12. UncleKudzu

Spaceliner (rat trap?) style springer fork?

does anyone know of a source for the low-profile Spaceliner sort of springer fork? my searches just bring up the commonly available springer or maybe a Monark style. what is the Spaceliner style properly called? TIA
  13. UncleKudzu

Spotted: Death Schwinn

as seen at local Dia de los Muertos celebration: notice that the skeleton sits astride a nice old Schwinn with a fine, light patina of rust. beautiful! i'm gonna try to track down the owner to see if he/she would be interested in selling the old Schwinn.
  14. UncleKudzu

1-piece crank problem

i put a crank with a small chainring on my latest find. it's great for hitting the hills around here, but the bearing on the chainring side keeps getting crushed. i changed back to an adult sized chainring and crank, but the bearing on that side failed again. i'm sure i'm putting everything...
  15. UncleKudzu

Slighty Ratty Thrift Store Find

here's a thrift shop find of not-so-distant vintage judging by the forks. not as cool as many of the finds that i see here, but it's got some nice rust here and there :D i put a small chainring from a youth 20" bike on it tackle the plentiful hills in my area, and also some good tires...
  16. UncleKudzu

Early Stages

well, it's happening to me now; between looking for parts bikes for my motorized project and the excitement of discovering this rat bike community, i'm looking for old bikes everywhere i go. i saw a guy on this old JC Higgins beside a busy four-lane. i whipped around and asked if he'd like to...
  17. UncleKudzu

Coaster Brake Up Front?

ok, here goes a newb's first question: for my motorized bike, the Molotov, i was wondering if a coaster brake hub could be used on the front wheel as a sturdy hub and as a drum brake. could a coaster brake be made to work as a hand brake? maybe an arm of some kind with a return spring...
  18. UncleKudzu

Hey Y'all!

ahh, people who name their bicycles... how could i resist joining the fun? below you'll hopefully see the Molotov, which i'm planning on putting a scooter engine on. the Molotov is an old Murray girl's bike to which someone lacking welding finesse attached a top tube. i've lurked a bit here...
Back