Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. HuffnPuff

Trek Y rescue

It’s been a while! Managed to get the paint off and found the Carbon didn’t have a consistent finish. So like the retrobike thread I’ve decided to paint. Here it is after a lot of scraping and sanding. Masked up ready for primer.
  2. HuffnPuff

Improving the Aldi bike stand

I drilled a couple of holes through mine and stick a spare allen key through it. only has two angles, but thats enough for most instances.
  3. HuffnPuff

Cyrus the Virus

That paint work! Incredible.
  4. HuffnPuff

Skidwell GTS

Thanks. Forgot to link the build thread. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/skidwell-gts.111317/
  5. HuffnPuff

Skidwell GTS

Finished my Class 1 build. An Aussie classic refreshed and rideable. Plenty of patina! Stripped down and oxalic acid bath for parts. Period correct chainguard, cranks, headset etc. Relaced Sturmey archer 3spd to Alloy rim with stainless spokes. Alloy from wheel. Modern thumb shifter nodded to...
  6. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

It’s more of a repair than a rat build. Speedwell GTS frame and forks. Speedwell Ladies Sport (step through) cranks, pedals, chainguard, bars, stem and headset to keep it in the family. Modern alloy rims, rear laced to a period correct Sturmey Archer 3spd. Old school bell, headlight and...
  7. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Added a headlight and reflector and I reckon it’s done. Just needs a photo shoot.
  8. HuffnPuff

BO15 The Kwaka

So I had another look at this. Seems the head angle is pretty close to the bike I’m inspired by. It doesn’t require a change. However the usual ‘winter blues’ have been visiting and not a lot of progress, so I doubt it’ll get finished by the deadline. Class one has been ticking away and is...
  9. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Forgot to add that the shifter was in the wrong position so I pulled it apart, cut out a little of the base plate and rotated it a bit to suit. Added a little bling to the shifter box. Will paint it soon, it’s a bit cold right now. Looking for a T handle for the shifter and found this...
  10. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Mounted the shifter using a couple of reflector brackets. Plastic so the don’t scratch the paint! Now to try and make it a bit more stylish.
  11. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

You are correct. Definitely need some decent brakes. Went to add some brake cables then discovered I’d installed rear brakes from a ladies step through. Another step backwards, had to find some more that had a top pull. This time I test fitted before the spit and polish - lesson learnt there...
  12. HuffnPuff

BO15 Huff-n-Puff

Hey! cool name! enjoy the build.
  13. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Had little play with the brakes and seem to have found some that will work. Mounted the red under the brake bridge otherwise it’s just an odd angle and won’t go near the rim.
  14. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

It’s a rider - kinda. No brakes, only top gear.
  15. HuffnPuff

BO15 The Kwaka

As per usual, all guns blazing to start then get distracted for a while. Had a bit of a break from build offs to upgrade my sons 24” bike with new wheels. upgraded the 7spd freewheel to a 9spd cassette with a new hub and rim. Then 1x which involved grinding off the riveted rings and cutting the...
  16. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Not sure, this might be cursed. After lacing the rear wheel twice due to errors, it’s tensioned up. The front took two incorrect lacing and one correct to work out the spokes were not the correct length. Too long. Found an alternate front wheel with an alloy hub. It’ll have to do for now. I’m...
  17. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Thanks OJ. Yeah, after I put the wheel in I looked back and saw the brake under the bridge. all the other similar frames I’ve seen on the internet have the brake on top, which made me wonder about the wheel size. I tossed the old wheels a while ago, they were beyond help but I’m pretty sure i...
  18. HuffnPuff

BO15 Skidwell GTS

Oh no. Dropped to page 3! Got sick of trying to clamp old frame bits to the work bench to true wheels so cut up some plywood and stuck it together. Decided I’d throw some bits on for a mock-up before tensioning the wheel up. Then hit a snag: 26” rim doesn’t line up with the brakes. Admittedly...
  19. HuffnPuff

BO15 The Kwaka

I haven’t used one before. What dramas have you had? It’s by to late for me to change direction with the saddle. I’ve got plenty of others available in the parts pile.
  20. HuffnPuff

BO15 The Kwaka

Small progress cutting and grinding bits to fit properly but not much to show. I have this nice wide saddle from a chopper back up above which I plan to modify to cut the back down a bit to suit.
Back