Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. ifitsfreeitsforme

Dodecahedron

these ancient Roman dodecahedrons (sp?) have been in the news lately and for some reason I'm intrigued by them, so I replicated one in CAD (Creo) and printed it. It's amazing to me that they do not know what they were for. My theory is they were pole/staff toppers, because there is one hole...
  2. ifitsfreeitsforme

Gary Fisher article

I liked this: https://www.investors.com/news/management/leaders-and-success/gary-fisher-mountain-bike-pioneer-jumps-on-new-bicycle-dream/
  3. ifitsfreeitsforme

Copake auction October 21st

you fellers and fellettes probably already know about this, but ... https://www.copakeauction.com/auction/31st-annual-bicycle-auction-2023-10-21/ I need to stay away from. There's some yummy road bikes in there.
  4. ifitsfreeitsforme

WANTED Shimano Exage Sport or EX-400 double crank 170 arms

Hi all, I'm looking for a very good condition set of 1989-early 90s Shimano Exage Sport or Exage EX-400 double cranks (don't need chainrings) in 170 length. 172.5 would be ok too. Silver only. Also wouldn't mind finding a very good condition 1990-ish Shimano 105 rear derailleur. I don't...
  5. ifitsfreeitsforme

vintage bike shop closing in MN (Waconia)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/bop/d/waconia-rock-shox-jetta-xc-suspension/7637535175.html Maybe someone here can benefit from this sale.
  6. ifitsfreeitsforme

Three of my rats from way back

this picture came up in my cloud memory today. I still have them, but the furthest one back, the Berkshire, will hopefully sell this weekend. The other two might be next.
  7. ifitsfreeitsforme

Thompson Classic BO18 Challenge

Here it is...Instead of Thompson Classic offering a prize after the voting, this year I'm offering this: The first bikes to cross the Finish Line in Cat 1 and 2 get a set of Ball End Grips. You pick the color: black, white, red, antique white, green, orange, dark grey. Now GTB!
  8. ifitsfreeitsforme

Red ball end grips back in stock

After nearly two years (supply chain probs), red ball end grips are back in stock at Thompson Classic. These are (gasp), $34 shipped per pair. Unfortunately, labor and material has increased four fold since 2019. Any-hoo… These rejects are $20 shipped and honestly some of them are near...
  9. ifitsfreeitsforme

Push scooter made from car headers seen on YouTube

Just want to share this clip from a video on YouTube. I figure some RRBers might like it. I think it's clever and cool.
  10. ifitsfreeitsforme

Huffy TT Skinny build

I found this photo of a Huffy I modded a little many years ago. This would'a been a good one for the current BO. 26" rear wheel, 24" front. They came from the factory like that. I only converted it to a single speed, chopped n flipped the bars, and removed rear brake. Kinda wish I kept...
  11. ifitsfreeitsforme

Canadian-Italian skinny rust bucket save

I acquired this last week. It's a Canadian-built Marinoni from the early 90s (I think). It's borderline too far gone. The fella who sold it to me had a frame builder fill two small rust pinholes with silver (thus the primer under down tube) and gave the frame his blessing. I think I'm going...
  12. ifitsfreeitsforme

Centurion Accordo early 90s

I found this on Fb Marketplace for 50 clams. I'm pretty stoked. Like the Bridgestone RB-2 I found earlier this year, this seems to have been barely ridden. No evidence of braking on rims, no wear on gears or chain. I'm going to tear it down, service everything. It's got sealed hubs...
  13. ifitsfreeitsforme

Vintage photo of bicycle in front of Colt Armory

I work at Colt Manufacturing, and I like this photo in the lobby. I imagine the bicycle is a Pope, as the two factories were near each other. The photo is prob popular on the internet. We are no longer located in the still-standing historic building in this photo in Hartford, CT. We are...
  14. ifitsfreeitsforme

SOLD Take-off Thompson Ball End Grips Dark Grey PVC $11 shipped

I have this one pair of customer-returned take-offs. They were not used, just installed and removed. The customer did not like the harder feeling of the PVC. He prefers the softer TPV used on the black grips. These are dark grey (they look black in the picture) $11 shipped in continental...
  15. ifitsfreeitsforme

Iver Johnson

Saw this beautiful Iver Johnson at the New England Air Museum yesterday and would like to share it.
  16. ifitsfreeitsforme

Riding dirt roads in FL?

This is a question for Floridians, or anyone who's ridden there... As I was descending into Orlando Airport last week, I noticed what looked like lots of dirt roads. They looked like better riding than the paved roads in that while they are still (too) flat, at least they meander and don't go...
  17. ifitsfreeitsforme

1992-93 (?) Bridgestone RB-2

A friend alerted me to this RB-2 on Fb Marketplace Saturday. I bought it for $120. The guy told me he had 47 inquiries in less than two hours. I have a 1990 RB-1 in purple and white since new, so this purple RB-2 will look nice in my collection. I will keep it as vintage as I can stand...
  18. ifitsfreeitsforme

new old fork replacement for the Layoff Special

this is my Layoff Special I built last year for the summer BO. I like the bladed Vista fork, but it tracks oddly, so it has to go. I'm going to put the original tubular Husky heavy duty fork back on. I'm going to remove the fender eyelets, and paint it the same color (anthracite). After I'm...
  19. ifitsfreeitsforme

Some tweaks to an old board tracker

so is this legal?... I have this board tracker I built in the mid 2000s that I am trying to sell on Fb Marketplace. It's gotten no bites. Obviously no one wants a bike styled like this anymore. I don't ride it anymore. So if I tear it down, fender it, change some components etc., is that...
  20. ifitsfreeitsforme

Reject ball end grips for sale (still nice tho) $11 shipped

Sometimes the injection molding process hiccups, and less-than-perfect grips are made. I’ll be posting pairs for sale here with pictures of the defects. Some may require a larger whack than usual to put on due to out-of-roundness. Normally these sell for $20 shipped when perfect. Defect pairs...
Back