Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. davemoneysign

1976 Schwinn Typhoon "KLUNKENSTEIN"

OddJob, I am from Fargo, ND. I make it to Minneapolis every once in awhile and hit up One on One, Angry Catfish and whatever else I can see! I'm going down to Minneapolis in a week or so and have a few shops I need to check out.
  2. davemoneysign

LukeTheJoker, I picked up the bike May 12th and it will obey the rules, please move the thread to BOTEN! Thanks!
  3. davemoneysign

LukeTheJoker, yes, I want to showcase the head tube badge more and fit up along the bar a bit better. I have a few ideas on how to do it, you will see soon enough! Had a great fabrication day after work today! The standard coaster brake arm and cheesy brake band are way too lame. I was...
  4. davemoneysign

Gravity racer - Calling all daredevils!

Just throwing out some reference material! http://www.wired.com/2011/05/gravity-bike-goes-downhill-fast/
  5. davemoneysign

Patinas are fun, the variances can be surprising! So my wheels came in on Monday, pretty basic black alloy rims, black spokes, black nipples and black hubs. I got some Bontrager XR2 26x2.2 tires on closeout so I couldn't pass that up. I also used presta tubes, I use them on all of my bikes...
  6. davemoneysign

At the fab shop I work in, we use a lot of patina finishes. Mainly they are Sculpt Nouveau products. The Birchwood Casey Gun Blue is very similar to Sculpt Nouveau Slate Black Patina. A beautiful rust patina can be achieved with Sculpt Nouveau Japanese Brown applied to a hot metal surface...
  7. davemoneysign

Araya51, Handsome Cycles did their prototype Dirty Harry frame in gun blue, I saw it in person at the Handsome store in Minneapolis a couple years ago. I think they just did a wax finish on it but I'm not too sure.
  8. davemoneysign

I'm thinking high gloss clear on the frame and chain guard. For the number plate, tank sides and potentially fender I am going to try to have a local artist friend do some custom graphics and finish them with high gloss clear as well.
  9. davemoneysign

Yeah, Araya51 I picked up some Birchwood Casey bluing solution and sampled it on a piece of scrap steel and applied a high gloss clear. So today I went back into the lab and worked on Klunkenstein a bit. I started by installing the bottom bracket convertor and crankset to check my chain...
  10. davemoneysign

Some goodies came in today! I got the fork (already has speed holes in the dropouts), headset (pieced together from a few in the shop), 7/8" BMX stem and Bontrager 26 x 2.2 XR2 tires. Wheels will hopefully be here tomorrow and I can really mock it up. I also picked up some Birchwood Casey gun...
  11. davemoneysign

Thanks for the comments, this forum is a pretty rad place! Alrighty, so the next task was to strip the frame and chain guard to bare steel and begin modifying the frame. That pesky kickstand mount needs to go.... With it removed and cleaned up, I needed to reinforce the area with...
  12. davemoneysign

In the process of making tabs to weld on for my tank insert. Also, putting some speed holes in the chain guard. With some help from a friend, we tackled the seat post situation. The frame uses a 13/16" post and I didn't like my options for upgrade posts and I did not want to use...
  13. davemoneysign

I needed a new project to work on and I haven't done a "restoration" in awhile so I thought it would be a nice experiment. I work part time at a bike shop and full time at a custom fabrication shop. My main whip is a SS 29er and I love it for our local trails. Nobody in town really runs a...
Back