Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. G

xddorox featured on the Make: Blog

I'm guessing it's the same guy we know here: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/01/diy_hard_saddle_bag_for_your_bike.html
  2. G

How Do You Store Multiple Bikes In A Moving Van?

Next week I'm loading up all my stuff into a moving van and driving 500 miles. I've got a big enough van that it should easily handle all the boxes and my beloved bicycle inventory: six full sized bikes and one trike. I'm wondering what the best way to store them in the back of the moving van is...
  3. G

Can you ID these two bikes???

A buddy of mine lives in Kansas. He just restored a 1967 John Deer tractor to showroom condition which he plans on actually using at his farm. Now he wants to restore two old bikes he has in his barn as close to original as he can get them, so finding out the exact year and model would be a big...
  4. G

Creative frame ideas

Ran across this on digg this morning. Some you've seen, some you may have not. They all make me want to learn how to weld-except for the wooden ones. http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2008/11/25/creative-and-unusual-bike-designs/
  5. G

What Makes You A Veteran Rat Rod Bike Forum Member?

I was reading slacker's "Motherload" post about finding a barn full of bikes and it made me think about what criteria would be used to classify a person as a "veteran" rat rodder or experienced member of this forum. We all love bikes and rat rodding, but what would denote someone as a "veteran"...
  6. G

How To Deal With Road Rage

I had a car deliberately try to side swipe me the other day. He wasn't trying to actually hit me, just send me a message. I guess he didn't know that in Ohio a bike has the same right to the road as a car, as long as you're not on the freeway. I sure wish I was on one of these at the time...
  7. G

Buyer advisory-bicycledesigner.com

A while back the subject of this online retailer came up because another member here and myself each had bought two 68 spoke wheel sets, and all had bad hubs which squeaked and vibrated when braking. Mine was a 20" set I had forgotten about and a 26" set I was working on. The owner, Gary, did...
  8. G

What's the best way to restore leather seat color?

I've got an old troxel seat from '57 that is in good shape for it's age. There's parts where the black color is coming off which doesn't look like it's damaging the leather underneath it, which makes me suspect the seat was originally brown and the owner tried painting it. The thing is, if it...
  9. G

Rattlecan paint wrinkles

I've been using the new Krylon paint which has the domed cap. It keeps producing wrinkles in small areas. Even if I sand the area down and try to paint over it it produces wrinkles in the same area. Any idea what is causing it and how to prevent it?
  10. G

How do you fix a noisy coaster brake?

I've got a single speed coaster brake wheel and hub that's never been used. It's got an ample supply of lubricant in the hub. But under hard braking conditions the thing squeals, making a very loud humming sound. It will slow and stop the bike, I don't think it's overly dangerous, but this bike...
  11. G

Early 50's Columbia Newsboy

What a day. I just picked an early 50's Columbia Newsboy with no dents, dings, or bone-deep rust, just a little (or a lot) of sun damage. The fenders are in great shape but the bike was missing the classic Columbia front fork, so the seller threw in a double springer for a nice low price. It's a...
  12. G

The Cat's Meow (Raleigh Fixed Gear)

I built this from the wheels up in one day at the local bike co-op. The only frames they had in my size was this Raleigh or a Fuji. The Raleigh had some character and the Fuji frame was a little too beat. All of the parts came from the co-op's various donor bikes, except for the wheels and...
  13. G

Critical Mess in Cleveland

This past Friday I went to where the Critical Mass riders were supposed to meet and it was a no show. I figured it wasn't happening anymore because I live downtown and never saw them before, and the Cleveland website for Critical Mass wasn't working. Then it got me thinking, why not have a pub...
  14. G

How much would you pay for this???

In a local bike co-op I found a really cool frame from a Dutch bicycle company. It's a Juncker Flying Jet (pronounced yoon-ker). The humpback frame is in good shape, just a few scratches. No crank or pedals, but it has a groovy headbadge and will take 26" tires. They didn't even know it was...
  15. G

26" X 3" frame clearance question

I've got an old mountain bike whose frame has 2.75 inches of clearance on the rear forks. The front forks have no problem at all. I was wondering, if I put a pair of 3" wide tires on a standard rim (26 X 2.10s are on there now), will the tires round up allowing clearance, or is the tread and...
  16. G

Easy to surf online gallery URL request

Besides RR of course! I'm fixing up a '57 Roadmaster for my sister and we decided we were going to keep it fairly traditional but weren't going to stick with the original paint scheme. Does anyone know of a good online gallery of balloon tire bikes where she can surf around and get an idea for...
  17. G

Three For All

I'll be visiting my niece and her husband at the end of May and nice guy that I am I decided to surprise them each with a bike. And to save time I'm going to put them in with my latest project, Mack the Knife. For the niece, that one is going to be easy. Just clean this one up, give it a two...
  18. G

Raleigh paint

I've been surfing the web for a can of metallic hunter green paint for an old Raleigh. The frame is in good shape but the paint has too many nicks for a simple touch-up, I'm going to need to do the whole thing. Does anyone know where I can find any? Thanks in advance.
  19. G

74 Schwinn Speedster

I found this one one CL, it was the first time I'd ever seen the camel back frame without the cantilevers. I fell for it right away. The bike was in really good shape and still had the original tires and S7's on it, but the paint had some nicks and scratches. Oh well, time to got to work. My...
  20. G

50's Hot Rod Tribute Bike

My first rat rod, a Murray cruiser, unknown model & year. It probably had several previous owners and was first purchased to be nothing more than a beater. The back rim was shaped like a pringle's chip. It's sitting in the "before" state in the middle of my custom bike rack (the back of an old...
Back