Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. HB Tommy

Mongoose Malus Chatsworth Edition

Saw the KOS on the other post. Looks great.
  2. HB Tommy

Fat KOS Kruiser

Notice the mega-range cassette, upgraded rear deraileur, and crankset. Do you ride off road? I have been riding my Malus Chatsworth now for 3 years off road with similar components. At 46 pounds, its a little harder on the hills, but manageable.
  3. HB Tommy

Fat KOS Kruiser

Nice KOS!
  4. HB Tommy

Updated the Mongoose to a BMX stem and rode it hard on the trail yesterday. It took the punishment well. Heavy, clumsy, and somewhat forgiving, this bike has a lot of character. I was blown away by it's climbing capabilities. It did not care if it was a rock garden or rutted trail, it went...
  5. HB Tommy

Test rode the Malus in the dirt and sand today, and it did surprisingly well. Somethings I need to do is switch over to tubeless to reduce the rotation mass--BB7s had tough time on the steep decents and the stem needs to be heavily tightened to secure those BMX bars.
  6. HB Tommy

A 26 x 4 Motomag would be so cool! I understand the Dolomite is a close cousin to the Malus. How do you like it so far?
  7. HB Tommy

More pics. My son enjoys it too!
  8. HB Tommy

Many 40-somethings desire those old days of freedom and youth. In some cases, companies like SE still deliver bikes to those adults who still have that kid in them. But what about those who came before the PK Ripper? Where are the days of the cantilever frames with BMX bars? Or the holy grail of...
  9. HB Tommy

1953 Shelby resto

One option on those rusty truss rods, especially the aesthetic ones, is aluminum 3\8 stock, polished to a chrome-like appearance. The main factor is how to terminate the ends. Schwinn versions are easy, though I made a custom set for my stretch (see stretch forum). I did this for two main...
  10. HB Tommy

My Son's First Ratrod, A Patina'd 53 Schwinn

We found much of the parts at the infamous Long Beach Bike Swap Meet. I also picked up an original working Delta bullet light off of eBay for about $32 shipped. We made a screw-in maglite bulb with an old bulb base. I wanted a light that produced higher lumens without any major alterations to...
  11. HB Tommy

That's it! Thanks for clarifying the origin of that sprocket.
  12. HB Tommy

Yeah that's a great idea Wildcat. In fact daddy's 59 Schwinn is sporting a lucky 7 seat post. I picked it up at the swap meet when we went parts hunting for his bike. Last summer I did a 15 mile cruise with the standard seat post and realized that these "adult-sized" vintage cruisers are closer...
  13. HB Tommy

Thanks Dougfisk. Initially my son, like many others, thought it would be suitable to repaint the bike. So I tried to get the fenders smooth enough to use just a filler primer. After a few rides in the park, many parents became inquisitive on the age of the bike, and my son quickly began to...
  14. HB Tommy

Piece by piece, we tore down all the bearing-related parts and repacked them. Thank God for cone bearing setups. They can be rebuilt very easily, and in many cases, do not require new bearings. The crankset was initially loose, and the sprocket was too tall for him. After soaking the pedal...
  15. HB Tommy

...A happy kid (with eyes closed) and straight fenders.
  16. HB Tommy

With lots of patience, we hammered out 60 years of collective dents. Note the Harbor Freight dolly set in the background, the rusted screws holding the fender on, and the straightened front fender used to build confidence. I had to grind off the screws because they were rusted solid; had it...
  17. HB Tommy

As a starting point, I wanted the bike to be mostly complete; I did not want to piece it together at a high expense. It needed to have pantina, truss rods, and an American made frame. This bike fit the bill. The DX fenders and near-perfect chainguard were a plus. I put in some new tubes and...
  18. HB Tommy

This year my son grew enough to transition from a 24" bike to a 26" bike. Here in Huntington Beach, a cruiser is the preferred mode of transportation, and this type of bike (of all bikes) seems to never go out of style. I did not want to buy him a Walmart cruiser. Instead, I wanted to give him...
  19. HB Tommy

New member from Huntington Bch CA

Well, last summer I finished my Dyno (see stretched forum) and now I am working on my son's first beach cruiser. I should have some pics uploaded soon. I love taking these bikes downtown HB.
Back