Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

I used 270 and 276, which is close enough that spoke head washers on one side centered the hub. Pro wheel builder gave me 269 and 274. That might be short? I still might try that.
  2. us56456712

Ski Flying in Norway yesterday

Ski flying used to be much more dangerous. The agony of defeat dude wasn’t the only jumper that day to qualify to the hospital. They ended out calling off the tournament as too many jumpers were getting hurt as the visibility was low. The tracks now are laser straight and the landings are much...
  3. us56456712

Ski Flying in Norway yesterday

4. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

I’ll run it again and try and get it right. I think I saved a photo of my old numbers. It’s close now. New spokes are cheap enough, but it would be nice to get it right for once. Right now I’m not doing any wrenching.
  5. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Oh no helpful you are. I’m going to revisit my calculations. I appreciate your input. Now I know where I went wrong. I reordered my parts and I should be back to working on the wheel soon. This hub is awful, thick hub flange on one side, thin on the other, drilled for thicker spokes on one side...
  6. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Dah. Another dah is that the stuff for this project I’ve been ordering has been either returned to the vendor or thrown out by the post office. I am having my mail forwarded by the post office while I recover at our in-laws but I found out the hard way that if there is no forwarding on the...
  7. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Yeah, your right, gives me something o focus on and keeps me busy
  8. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

The LBS dug out an old, laminated, yellowed spoke length chart. They keep it rolled up in a cardboard tube. It’s poster sized, sort of like a state highway map that shows distance between any two places. I’m too dumb to figure it out. They tried to help me with this chart but I told them it was...
  9. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

I think the drive side had larger spokes, I’m going to use hub washers there. Also, the hub originally wasn’t laced in a normal way. The key spoke determines which way the hub is twisted to do the first set of cross spokes. The wear pattern shows the spokes heading in the opposite direction as...
  10. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

I got the spokes right finally after playing musical spokes. The hub is centered, the spoke tension is good and the spokes end at the bottom of the nipple slot. The proper length is 275 x 266.5 cm. I couldn’t get the whole side to cross using 266. Perhaps if I put in the spokes on the opposite...
  11. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

They are both sides flush with the nipple screwdriver slot. Nothing sticks out the nipple and no threads show on the other. Nice and tensioned but not centered right in the rim. It’s too far off to use the way you mentioned. I plan to try that when I use the 270 and 276 combo. If this isn’t...
  12. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Like I said I tried to tension it. Spoke length is off. You can’t move it over enough even if the spokes stick out and are hardly in on the other side. It’s way off. Dished the opposite side of a road bike wheel. Here is the result of the prowheelbuilder calculator. I already tried 267 and it’s...
  13. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

My measurements are right. None None of the spoke length calculators give you a consistent answer. The hub is too weird. Never had a problem like this before. My measurements are right. Here 8 spoke hub holes on each side.
  14. us56456712

ORBO FYA - (Functional Yard Art)

I got one of these. No baskets, someone might steal it for the baskets.
  15. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Here is my result using the spoke calculator that Wildcat uses. It’s wrong for sure. I already tried 267mm spokes and their way too short to cross. Seems like 270mm might be right for the left side as they cross and end out correct in the nipple. Most f my calculators that I used had in the...
  16. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

Thanks, I never would have figured that out. I’ll try it.
  17. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

K is 117mm.
  18. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

It’s almost two inches dished the wrong way, tension won’t bring it back. It needs the correct spoke length, which is illusive. The spoke tension chart indicates that this size wheel needs more tension than other 26 inch wheels, both sides. The spokes are tightened to the correct depth and off...
  19. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

The hub I’m using has very different R and L diameters and flange thicknesses right and left. I think that’s why I get different calculations. The hub may not fit modern calculators very well. The front hub spoke calculators with the same size flanges right and left didn’t give me much...
  20. us56456712

ORBO Tracker tribute

The spoke calculations were off. The hubs not centered in the rim. I tried shorter spokes on the drive side to try and pull the hub over but they wouldn’t cross, too short. I ordered longer spokes for the non drive side to see if I can push the hub over. What a pain.
Back