Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. HRJG

Still Playing With the Mongoose Beast?

It seems that the Beast modification has dropped off. I know it has been awhile, and my own multi-speed, disc-equipped Beast was dismantled, long ago. So, I understand the radio silence. But, I recently pulled the old frame out of the rafters, and re-imagined it as a single speed with 26x3”...
  2. HRJG

The Silk Purse Is Pretty Much Complete

I have taken to referring to my Beast as the "Silk Purse", for what I trust are obvious reasons. This weekend, I put the finishing touches on it. I centered the axle and spaced out the droupout so that all five cogs are usable on the 13/34 freewheel... That gives me the same low gear on...
  3. HRJG

I Built Up a Bikes Direct (Motobecane) Fat Bike, Yesterday

The full story is on my blog, here: http://grinderswheels.blogspot.com/2013 ... ecane.html
  4. HRJG

Five Speed Freewheel On a Choppers US Hub - Walgoose Beast

I installed a five-speed freewheel on my Beast, yesterday. The rear axle was just long enough to work, with the addition of an extra locknut to space the frame away from the cogs. I trimmed the dropout away from the derailleur mount, so that the LX derailleur would have room to swing. An...
  5. HRJG

Cartridge Bottom Bracket For the Beast

I just built up the BlackBeast for my friend, Danny. As an experiment, I tried out a Tommisea cartridge bottom bracket, and it worked like a charm. With my Vuelta triple crank, the cartridge worked right out of the box. For the old Sugino I actually used on Danny's build, I had to put a freehub...
  6. HRJG

Colorado Singletrack Ride On the Beast

Well, for those who say it can't be done ... you are mistaken. I took the Beast out for a nice ride, Sunday morning, on Mt. Falcon, just outside of Denver. I had just finished my new front derailleur mount (thanks, Tater, for the inspiration), and it shifted fine on the street. So, I decided...
  7. HRJG

The Beast Is Loose In Denver

Here is a shot of my Beast, which I have been working on for the past month, or so. It has front cantis, a rear disc/freewheel, triple crank and a front derailleur mounted in a really ugly manner, which gives me 3-speed capability. The full story of the build, and more pictures, here...
  8. HRJG

Hello, from Denver

Hi, my name is Jon and I have been building rat rod bikes for about 20 years, off and on,as well as other types. Currently, I am playing with a Walgoose Beast, and the the forum here is the best I have found on the internet. So, I signed on. Glad to be here!
Back