Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. A

SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Here's the bike, as delivered. I re-assembled it with the stock parts, just to see what all I got for my $65. Probably will sell the stock wheels, fork, crank, and maybe fenders. Here it is so far. Parts used: - generic Ebay cruiser/bmx fork - Shimano E110/Weinmann rim wheelset from...
  2. A

buildup blunders

Nope. As far as I can tell... Shimano 9-speed groups (road and mountain) - all compatible with each other (assuming derailleur has cage sized for cassette - ie no short cage on a 32t big cog cassette). Shimano 10-speed groups - NOT compatible. Road and Mountain (DynaShift) use different pull...
  3. A

buildup blunders

This was on a new mixte build for my wife... bought Shimano Tiagra 10spd rear derailleur and Shimano 10spd SLX shifter. Got them mounted, ran the cable, spent 90 minutes trying to get the darn thing to shift properly. Turns out Shimano 10spd road and 10spd mountain groups are NOT compatible...
  4. A

vintage stumpjumper - worth fussing with?

I'd strip the derailleurs/shifters (unless they're original) and replace the fork with a rigid one. Run it single-speed, rigid as an around town bike. The original batch of Stumpjumpers was welded ('81/'82). Then, they were lugged from '82 through the late-80s, then they were welded. It's...
  5. A

'28 Elgin StreetRacer

What size wheels/tires would this have had originally? Did you have to spread the frame and fork to fit the hubs? It looks really sharp with that wheel set-up.
  6. A

SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Thanks! That's great info. Looks like as long as don't go crazy, this build should be pretty straightforward. As soon as the bike arrives, I'll be sure to update this thread, or start a build thread.
  7. A

SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

I'm definitely not worried about making the bike "correct". Just fun and usable. The first step will just be tearing down what's there, reassemble it, and ride it a bit. I have a vision in my head, but I want to ride it some and get a feel for how I'll use it before spending too much money.
  8. A

SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Hey all, New guy here. Just piked up an old Schwinn Typhoon, with plans to do a mild klunker build. Here's the for-sale pic; should be on a truck en route to my house now. I do have a few questions. It sounds like the Typhoon comes with one of the odd-ball Schwinn-specific tire sizes (26"...
Back