Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. kim_dude

Nexus 3 Speed issues

I have a Nexus 3speed coaster brake hub on my trike I just finished. Took for a spin and have some issues. First off it felt like it was skipping around between gears while pedaling and now it won't spin backwards. Thoughts?
  2. kim_dude

Growler Grabber, last second update!

Well here she is.... Didn't get everything I wanted done because I screwed up the Nexus twist shifter. Lesson learned. Voting pic; Here is how she started life Picked up a super crusty Higgins and paint matched the trike year to the rust. Anyone have a Nexus 3 speed twist shifter for sale?
  3. kim_dude

Virginia Beach bike show

So the Rusty Sprocket Cruiser Club once again participated in the Spring Fling Bike Bash in Virginia Beach. This was an event I started 3 years ago and had a lot of help getting off the ground from a lowrider bike club from Norfolk. This year I think we actually had more bikes there than we did...
  4. kim_dude

Va Beach bike bash

3rd annual Virginia Spring Fling Bike Bash at 39th St Chicho's. This Saturday. Low riders and classics. Come one, come all bring your pedal powered whip. Sponsored by Altered Suspension Low Rider Club and the Rusty Sprocket Cruiser Club.
  5. kim_dude

Growler grabber. DONE(ish)!!!!

I got just far enough during BO9 to tear apart my trike. Guess I'll rebuild it for BO10. Hopefully I labeled the parts box for it. Still have 3 other bikes I'm working on so we'll see how it goes.
  6. kim_dude

60s Sears Higgins flightliner?

Picked this up last week but cant quite date it. Its in pretty decent shape. Broke down super easy, battery tray is spotless and it even has the headlight lens and rear jewel reflectors. Any help on the date?
  7. kim_dude

Hey, it was free

Got a message from some friends today that said they were cleaning out their garage and had an old Schwinn they wanted to get rid of and would I want it. Who says no to free bikes? Nothing super special but it should clean up pretty good.
  8. kim_dude

Tandem to single rider conversions

Thinking about picking up a Twin Schwinn and trying to convert it to a burrito, or something along those lines. Anyone got a link to a build on here like that? I know their on here but I'm not having any luck using the search terms I can think of.
  9. kim_dude

VB finally has a club! Rusty Sprocket Cruiser Club

Bit the bullet and finally got the ball rolling on forming a club. There's enough of us that know each other in the area now that there was no reason not to. Join the Facebook group and share it! Ideally it would be nice to get together for a ride once a month or so. I am working on getting...
  10. kim_dude

Columbia Newsboy Special

Got this today off of board member JD56. Columbia Newsboy Special. The original paint faded almost uniformly leaving the olive drab primer exposed. There are still some visible pinstripes on the fenders. I had started breaking it down before I took the pick bit all the parts are there. Its just...
  11. kim_dude

Post-war ladies Elgin

Picked this up off of CL yesterday. Haven't tried dating it by serial# yet but since its not skip tooth I'd say late 40's. It was painted with house paint in the 60s but I kind of like it so it will just be a clean and clear coat and new tires. Working on finding a double pan seat I can recover...
  12. kim_dude

Straightening fender struts

How's it done? I always seem to have at least one strut on a new purchase that has some sort of kink, or even worse a "s" curve, in it. Hammer the two sides together to flatten it and then respect them?
  13. kim_dude

How strong is JB Weld?

For my RRBO bike I need to mount a post to attach my jockey shifter to but all of my tubes have been modified, so there's no way to use a band clamp or something similar. I was thinking of JB Welding it but wasn't sure about the durability of it since I've never worked with it. Strong enough...
  14. kim_dude

Thirsty Three Wheeler (formerly The Growler)

I'm in, just not sure what I'm going to build yet. I have several project bikes that need to be done and apparently a trike that a friend is giving me so I need to come up with a game plan I guess.
  15. kim_dude

Bike sizes

I have a couple if female friends who have asked me to build them some cruisers. My questions is at what point does someone need a 26" versus a 24" bike. I told them I would only do something vintage but I'm limited in what I can find around here. One of them is only 5'1" so I figured she could...
  16. kim_dude

2nd Annual Va Beach Spring Bike Bash, 5/3/14

The second annual bike bash will be held at Chicho's pizza in May 3, 2014. It will once again will be run by the Altered Suspension low rider club. Let's see if we can outnumber their bikes this year with vintage bikes. We will be doing the swap thing again so feel free to bring your...
  17. kim_dude

What happened to the sticky

This thread really needs the thread with all of the links to the various bike dating databases stickied back to the top.
  18. kim_dude

types of rattle can paint

What is the best kind of spray paint to use on bikes, as in what is most durable? Acrylic, Lacquer, automotive?
  19. kim_dude

replacement decals

I'm thinking about stripping and repainting the Firebolt I recently got but would want to put on new decals. What's the best way to get them recreated and how much should I expect that to cost?
  20. kim_dude

Seat frame repairs

I was taking apart an old double pan seat and one of the bolts sheared off. Can it be replaced if I finish taking it apart?
Back