Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. kchurch86

.......and then you end up not doing squat

I regularly go to the garage to do nothing. I stand at my work bench, look at my lathe, look at my drill press. Pick up a tool and inspect it, put it away. Pick up a block of wood, sand a sharp edge smooth and drop it back in the burn pile. Open the dresser drawer that houses bike parts, look at...
  2. kchurch86

What are you listening to?

Black Flag all day at work today.
  3. kchurch86

What have you been riding lately?

Took the Raleigh on a bit of a shakedown run this morning. I had to cut it short, not because of the bike but because my fingers and toes felt like they were going to fall off. I want warmer weather! Got a little under 9 miles in, couple decent hill climbs (and subsequent downhill stretches...
  4. kchurch86

KRS One on this morning's brisk (frigid) ride.
  5. kchurch86

On a Foo Fighters kick today, back to back full album plays while working in the shop, continued on while cooking dinner.
  6. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

Well, that didn't work 😆 I swore I had a piece of 1 3/8" aluminum round bar, but after digging through my materials bin I came up empty handed. I was going to machine a stem, which I would have clamped to this stubby adapter I made from an old Kalin quill. Instead, I shortened the end...
  7. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

Too cold and windy to ride today IMO, so I figured I'd wrench instead. Currently playing around with different bar/stem set ups on the Raleigh, which has in turn got me machining more custom parts. Stay tuned...
  8. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

Loads of info there - thank you! My dad had a Raleigh in the 70's, he thinks it was a Gran Prix but may have also been a Record. Fun fact, he would use it to impress my mom while they were dating. He'd drop a dime on the pavement in front of her, race down the street, then race back and lay the...
  9. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

I was considering doing exactly that! I really like repurposing existing equipment whenever possible. Thanks for the link!
  10. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

A few more pics to share. What's your clearance, Clarence? The rear tire is close enough to the front derailleur that in order to mount/dismount the wheel, I need to completely air down and squeeze as hard as possible on the tire and kind of roll it out of the frame. Sure, I could take it all...
  11. kchurch86

1976 Raleigh Record

I bought this bike either in the fall of '21 or spring of '22 as a cheap step into road bikes. I had never ridden a road bike before, but wanted to give it a shot. I had been (and still am) toying with the idea of using a bike to commute to work in the spring months, and I found this locally for...
  12. kchurch86

SWB0 🇭🇲 Sprint 12 - Done.

It's nothing special. It's a '76 Record that I picked up cheap and got rideable again. It's my first step into road bikes so I didn't want to spend much on it in case I turned out not to like it.
  13. kchurch86

SWB0 🇭🇲 Sprint 12 - Done.

Man, scrolling through your pics on this build and seeing all the polished bits make me want to revisit my Raleigh. Everything looks great so far!
  14. kchurch86

What's cooking?

Pasta and yellow squash in a beet cream sauce. Chopped beets and Vidalia onions, half a cup or so each of veggie broth and milk with lots of butter to build the sauce base. Oregano, Rosemary, black pepper.
  15. kchurch86

The view from Western Massachusetts

Took a ride into town to dump some books in the library return, figured I'd snap a few photos along the way. 9.2 miles on a (very heavy) early 2000's DK General Lee, completed in just under 54 minutes. Top speed was 20.6 mph, average speed 10.2 mph. Looks like somebody misplaced one of the...
  16. kchurch86

What's cooking?

Tofu tacos for dinner. Tossed the cubed tofu in egg wash, then seasoned polenta (cumin, turmeric, coriander, oregano, onion powder, salt & pepper) and fried in veg oil. Topped with shredded cheddar, baby arugula, chopped cilantro, Cholula, and a lime & coconut drizzle. (Yes, I put the lime in...
  17. kchurch86

What's cooking?

Fried bologna sammich. Three slices bologna fried in bacon fat, thick slice of American cheese melted between each. Toasted whole wheat, mayo, spicy mustard and baby arugula. Probably best not to make a habit out of these, but maaan does it hit the spot.
  18. kchurch86

The view from Western Massachusetts

Agreed! Are you anywhere near the CT river? It borders my hometown and last year it came VERY close to breaching the dam, something that hasn't happened here in many decades. More rain today, and more flooding (though nothing like what '23 brought). We wound up getting about 10" total snowfall...
  19. kchurch86

Macro Monday! Show that zoomed-in detail shot on Monday

Thp thp thp thp thp thp thp thpthpthpthp!
Back