Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. kscheel

Trouble with Tire Clearance on a Schwinn Springer Fork

Well I pulled it apart moved the fender around and I flipped the fender braces. It turns out the replacement brace is actually a little shorter then the factory Schwinn brace. With the replacement brace on top and the Schwinn brace on the bottom it fits together pretty nice. The top still does...
  2. kscheel

Trouble with Tire Clearance on a Schwinn Springer Fork

So I am assembling a 1957 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet. It has the later style springer and is an S-7 bike. In mounting the front tire I find that I have about an inch of clearence between the top of the fender and the top of the tire. On the back/lower part of the fender the clearance is much less...
  3. kscheel

1940 Merion/Columbia

I contacted Mr. Columbia and he said it was a 40. Thank you for your valuation. I appreciate it. And I am certainly looking forward to the wedding!
  4. kscheel

1940 Merion/Columbia

Looking to get a ballpark value on this bike. I'm getting married in less than a year and I know this bike is going to be on the chopping block pretty soon. It is a 1940 Columbia sold through Merion department stores. Overall it is original, but it is missing the horn unit, front light, and the...
  5. kscheel

Pickeup a Prewar Westfield/Merion, How Did I Do?

Everything looks to be original. I will get a bunch of better pictures posted tomorrow. The pictures in my first post were taken with my phone right when I got home from the show that I found the bike at. I'll be sure to get the serial number too. I'm looking forward to getting this thing...
  6. kscheel

Pickeup a Prewar Westfield/Merion, How Did I Do?

I got this bike yesterday at a military vehicle show and swap meet. I gave $150, not sure what it is worth at this point, but I know it's got to be worth more than what I paid. It really looks to be a survivor, albeit a little rough. Original paint and chrome, the Persons seat is still solid...
  7. kscheel

What is my CWC Luxury Liner Worth?

I just finished the resto on a 1948/49 Cleveland Welding Company Luxury Liner. I left it as original as possible. All of the chrome and red painted surfaces are original. The frame has been repainted, the original paint was very bad. Overall the original paint was cleaned, polished and clear...
  8. kscheel

Ride Through Fort Wayne

Very cool. Looks like it was a great ride!
  9. kscheel

1948 CWC Luxury Liner

Thanks guys. When I finally assembled it as a final product and took those last pictures, I must say I felt pretty proud. I felt even better when I realized how nice it rides. All I need really is to find a replacement horn unit. The original looked pristine other than being corroded nearly in...
  10. kscheel

1948 CWC Luxury Liner

And where it finished:
  11. kscheel

1948 CWC Luxury Liner

I picked up this 1948 Cleveland Welding Company Luxury Liner this past October. It came from the estate of the original owner. Real dusty, missing pedals, torn up seat cover, but pretty much all there and very straight. Over the past 3 weeks I set about to restore/preserve it. Lots of washing...
  12. kscheel

Chain Ring Wobble

It was no easy chore and the bend was really more of a twist. The center forging line between the two arms had a pretty good curve in it rather than being straight. It took four sessions of trial and error with a big pipe and the bench vise. It isn't 100% perfect but it is close enough that it...
  13. kscheel

Chain Ring Wobble

As it turns out, the chain ring is fine. The problem is the bent crank. I've gotten the crank bent back and sure enough the wobble went away.
  14. kscheel

Chain Ring Wobble

I am in the process of assembling my 1948 Roadmaster Luxury Liner and I'm finding that there is some troubling wobble in the chain ring. About 1/4 left to right movement. I did remove the bearing cups when working on the frame, but they did not appear to be bent. Currently booth appear to be...
  15. kscheel

Any Idea What These Are?

B607 is giving you some good advice...lot more money on the table than 50 bucks
  16. kscheel

postwar straightbar ID sought

I'm thinking its a CWC frame. I wouldn't get too hung up on the rim/hub, its not like they're hard to change. Isn't possible it was swapped out at some point over the last 60 years?
  17. kscheel

New Balloon Tire Available

That is very cool. Hopefully this will inspire someone to repop some other vintage tire brands.
  18. kscheel

Schwinn Locking Springer Fork Assembly - Right Way, Wrong Way?

I have a Schwinn locking springer fork setup that needs to be assembled. I have a tendency to over think things so, this may be a non-issue, but is there a certain way that this type of fork should be assembled? Should it be assembled on or off the bike? Should I attach the spring hardware and...
  19. kscheel

Detroit area club

I'm in Utica, Ryan rd and Auburn rd. looks like three or four of us are fairly close. Anyone ever ride Riverbends Park or the paths around Romeo? Also any of you local suburban Detroiters ever want swap or sell parts or projects? Maybe one day we could plan a little show and swap somewhere?
Back