Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. M

Peugeot Mixte & a lugged Ross MB

I have a simular Ross like yours, I got mine back in '83 when it was new. As far as I know the frame was still made in USA, and they where not cheap, over $300 in '83. Mine is a Mt Hood and its a 15speed. Nice bike glad to hear your fixing it and not parting it out. Ross was an early entrant in...
  2. M

Good ride.

Looks like a nice quality bike. I would not mind a free bike that nice. Ride on man.
  3. M

26 x 1.375 tires any sugestions?

I finaly got a chance to look at my wheels and the tires look to be OK. I think I can remove them clean the rims up and put in new tubes and be OK to ride. Any suggestions on using really old tires. Is there anything I could put on them to help preserve them, like armor all, or not put on if it...
  4. M

Cleaned a rusty chain

Success story. I have this nasty rusted and frozen skip tooth chain that most would have junked but its a skip tooth and I only have one. It was a rusty dried up ball stored for over 50 years. Here is how I cleaned it up. First I unfolded what would move and sprayed it with WD40, lot of it...
  5. M

*36 schwinn ranger motorbike*

Really cool bike, I am assuming you put the new tires on it, looks like its ready to just ride ride ride.
  6. M

Dang, and I originally though I had singletubes on it and was pleased when I found out I had switched wheels. Thought the 26's would be an easy find. Oh well. I would rather ride it than have it be a museum piece so a swap would be OK if I can't find anything.
  7. M

Hi guys, got an old bike that uses 26 x 1.375 tires, Sheldon Browns site says go with a 599 size. Any suggestions for a vintage looking tire, bike is a '41. Thanks
  8. M

Elgin ID

Wow, thanks for the help. Got a simullar answer, but not as detailed on the other site. One thing that seems odd is that my bike has single tube wheels and tires, could they have still used these in 1941? Hard to believe that my dad would have changed them from balloon to these out dated tires...
  9. M

Elgin ID

No Elgin experts in here?
  10. M

Rusty/Crusty Elgin Moto

How can you tell the tire size if you have no tire on the rim? I also have an old Elgin, but it has the single tube tire wheels.
  11. M

New Departure model D

My Elgin, of unknown year and maker yet, has a model D New Departure rear hub on it. What vintage where these made and is it a single or 2 speed? The bike is not ridable so I can't tell at this point. The tire is the single tube type if that makes any difference. Thanks.
  12. M

Elgin ID

Elgin Lightweight model 501-174 serial stamping on the BB, H2 then under that is F15440. Anyone know year of this bike, it was my dads back in 40's probably. Thanks for any help.
  13. M

Pierce bicycle

Minor update, I dragged home the Elgin yesterday from my parents basement. I straightened the bent forks that where the reason it was taken apart many years ago. Dad hit a stopped car! Ouch. Now its just clean it up and find tires for it.
  14. M

Hot Rod Columbia (almost done)

Re: Hot Rod Columbia (Update 7-7) Being a Hot Rod and a Mopar fan I had to follow this one. Looks great so far. The bike will look slick mounted in the bed of the ole' Dodge.
  15. M

Pierce bicycle

Thanks for the advise. The Pierce is probably from the 20's. Grandpa was born in 1898 so there is a lot of time he could have bought it. Dad is from 1930 so his Elgin may be an early 40's. Its a full size diamond from bike, not a kids bike so I am guessing he was a teen when he got it. Picture...
  16. M

Pierce bicycle

So I did a little google search and I found out that my Pierce bicycle was made by the George N. Pierce that made Pierce Arrow cars. Thats cool because grandpa had one of those way back in the 20's also. I could not find out how late they made the bikes though but it looks like it may be older...
  17. M

Pierce bicycle

I have my grandfathers old bike, and my dads too. Grandpa's is a Pierce and dad's is an Elgin. What can anyone tell me about these company's. I am guessing they are both from the 30's, but could be wrong. Thanks
  18. M

Shelby Traveler

Really neat looking bike. So what's the plan with it, rat bike? Custom or restore to minty new. I think it would be great any which way. Is the fork bent back?
  19. M

where do you ride??

I ride to the post office and back, which I am about to do in a few minutes. My bike is not to cool just a walmart Huffy with kitty liter panier on one side to carry the box's. Still fun though. Must build a custom for this ride.
  20. M

Anyone near me? NY Hudson/Chatham area

Any bikers in my area, Columbia county NY? We got bikers but I have not seen any custom bikes on the road.
Back