Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Mr. Gangrene Genes

ROAD BIKES LETS SEE EM

Nice looking bike, here is mine, a '79-'80 Taiwan Schwinn World Sport 12 speed a friend gave to me. I removed all the decals, replaced the drop bars with the stem and tourist bars off a Campania Sprint ladies bike my Dad had got at a thrift store and then gave to me. Also swapped to the wide...
  2. Mr. Gangrene Genes

There Came a Tweed Rider

Howdy, Kansas City recently had a "Tweed Ride" which sounded interesting. I did not make it this year, and none of my current bikes really fit their early Safety bicycle theme. http://bikewalkkc.org/tweed/ Got to thinking about building a road bike without cables and such, but too hilly for a...
  3. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Well got the brake and shifter cables lined out. Rides pretty smooth, took the wrong bus home the other night and got to ride 17 miles instead of 7. Even with the HD seat post off an excercycle, it was bent pretty badly. Straightened it and hammered a 9/16" hardwood dowel inside the post...
  4. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Haulers, what do you haul your bike in?

Here is ours, used Roadmaster tow bar brackets, a piece of angle iron, and some bike racks off a junkyard minivan. Uprights are tall enough to remind there is something hanging off the front. Got the idea from the KCATA Metro bus. Doesn't block the hatch.
  5. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Well my search for a Union front drum brake has been nonproductive like most. Wasn't liking the brake caliper adaptor I was trying to make for the chrome fork, also it being taller for a 27" wheel made the head tube angle raked back. Looking at Alan Bond's green bike above, started watching for...
  6. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Thank you, turns out in my haste to get a 74 bcd chain ring somewhat cheaply, didn't notice the one I bought was black. Not really the look I wanted, turns out it also has a different style of centering, so that was enough excuse to get a 32 tooth in silver/alloy. It has the counter bores to...
  7. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Monark Springer Repair Advice Please

Look at the broken stud near the acorn nut, see the wear? Suspect the other bolt is right behind in failure mode. I would have the broken one drilled out per above, and replace both studs with something sturdy, like you might find at a Boeing or Caterpillar plant. Would not epoxy, braze, or...
  8. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Wanting to build a klunker. Need a Schwinn DX, preferably tall but if not I will make due.

I do not feel strongly about anything that has been said so far. It just seems to me if you have to weld up an expensive damaged frame, just go all in and do a sex change and add the straight bar. Also easier to cut down a long truss rod fork and rethread, than lengthen. Am afraid the OP is...
  9. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Wanting to build a klunker. Need a Schwinn DX, preferably tall but if not I will make due.

It gets to the point, do you really need a $5000 klunker? Price of the frame is just the begining. Everyone is chasing the same few parts, to make it right is going to cost a bunch. Guess I would suggest instead of wasting time and money buying a damaged frame, start with a cheaper ladies frame...
  10. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Well two forward, one back. Was looking for some KKT MX 1/2" pedals, kept getting beat on the bid. Found these HTI pedals that appear to be Taiwan composites of the MKS wrap around outer with the KKT concave footbed with cross bracing and riveted reflectors. Much cheaper and still almost a...
  11. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Tall bike fun time

I don't have the picture, but remember seeing one of a tall bicycle called Bonnie & Clyde. Basically it was similar to your bottom two, the top bike was a 20" over a 26". Shared the same head tube angle with steering somewhat like yours. The 20" was a fixed gear with a mounted rear tire that was...
  12. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Unocycle.

Try steering with just one hand and use your other arm as a bob weight to balance rodeo style.
  13. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Donkey Bike

While I know nothing about them, would guess that you want your seat ahead of the center of the rear wheel. Otherwise you will not have enough weight on the front tire to steer(like a tractor pulling too big a plow). Perhaps a bread loaf type seat with vertical supports to the rear axle would...
  14. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

I like center-pull brakes. Here is a rear set with a longer reach, still not quite enough. Going to have to make a tube extension like for my Run-A-Bout imitation. Which is another reason to go with the Akisu fork over a Ashtabula blade type. There are some drain holes top and bottom on the...
  15. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

The nice thing about this spider (other than it looks cool) is it will take all three chainrings shown, two 110mm bcd, and one 74 mm bcd. But not trying to fool anyone, even myself. Won't be scaling the fire roads of Marin County or bombing Larkspur, so tightened up the spread to 11 teeth per...
  16. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Thanks, more than one way to skin a cat. I like one piece cranks. Here is a "Varsity" edged version with a Tioga spider OT-1 and some chain rings under consideration. A 52, 38, & a 24, 14 tooth spread between them may be too much. Still need to get some chainring bolts.
  17. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Let's see those Thunder Roads and similar style bikes

This is a friend of a friend's Wildfire bike, back in day. Lost to history, looks similar to me. Just a sweet picture. I was too lazy for BMX, seems like a lot of work, and someone could get hurt.
  18. Mr. Gangrene Genes

How to weld chain neatly?

Not with a wire feed. Do wonder what would happen if you hooked the ground cable from a stick welder to one end and struck an arc on the other end. Would the links join enough?
  19. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

I was looking at Alan Bond's Green Hybrid again and noticed the "dot" brake levers were thicker with ball ends. I thought maybe it was a red/gold thing, probably more of an early/late safety thing. Turns out I have some on my tall boy road bike. I had also installed some Dia Compe bullet cable...
  20. Mr. Gangrene Genes

Spitfire or Sputter?

Howdy, I recently purchased a '68 drum brake 5-speed Schwinn tandem with HD S7 wheels. It was missing the chainguard and the fenders, with several components replaced; seats, pedals, front handlebars. A PO had changed the shift cable and installed the lever backward, guy I bought bike from...
Back