Search results

1. Kevin B

Help Identifying These Parts

That's what I suspected but the bars didn't seem to have enough rise. Thanks, off they come :)
  2. Kevin B

Help Identifying These Parts

A good friend gave me a 1998 Schwinn S-20 mountain bike. I've never owned or ridden a Mtb. Consequently I do not know what these empty brackets on the bars would have held. There is a pair and they are inside of everything else.
  3. Kevin B

How do I clean out a rusty seat tube?

Steel tube is a great idea.
  4. Kevin B

I found something on Instructables. Difference is this guy uses aluminum rod. Now I know they are called flap sanders. https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-DIY-Flap-Sander/
  5. Kevin B

Tire Liners?

I've gone a decade or more without any on the road flats. Now in the last week I have punctured a tube twice. I think it is because the County has been deploying bat wing mowers in some of the neighborhoods cutting brush and leaving little sharp wood chips on the road. Not finding nails or...
  6. Kevin B

I slot a dowel rod length ways about 1" from the end. Then insert a strip of sand paper rolled in the direction of my drills rotation (actually emery cloth might be better). Next I chuck that up and put it in the tube running it up and down. I have been thinking about getting an automotive...
  7. Kevin B

Assembly after Paint..

Lacquer cures quicker than enamel. Like stated above lower humidity and warmer temps. expedite curing. Good conditions I can carefully assemble in 3 days (enamel).
  8. Kevin B

Bicycling in Complete Safety

Did anyone notice Bobby makes a left turn hand signal and turns right (with the praise of the narrator) at 3:20. Have hand signals changed since the 1930?
  9. Kevin B

Homemade Tools

I know the bike sites say to use a stand but I don't have room to store one. Here is what I do for occasional work like chain work, servicing the bottom bracket and etc. I made this from aluminum flat bar and angle stock. Looking back a piece of 1/4" plywood bolted in the center would be just...
  10. Kevin B

ElDoRATo

I have seen those 59 Caddy bullet lens taillights fairly cheap on ebay. Often wondered about cutting one down and using it in some housing on the rear of a bike. Your Bike is genius.
  11. Kevin B

Homemade Tools

I made this tool for the non-drive side cone on bottom brackets. It has worked for me many times. It was made by cutting down two Schlage lock tools and bolting them together to swivel. (The lower picture of original Schlage tool. They come with the locks so they pile up fast.
  12. Kevin B

Ode to the Bottom Bracket

I agree.
  13. Kevin B

Oil based spray paint

I used Rustoleum black sandable automotive primer and Rustoleum satin Canyon Black. Results were not factory but they were good. It is the bike in the Swamp Tiki thread.
  14. Kevin B

Ode to the Bottom Bracket

Each year I service my bottom brackets a couple of times with a full cleaning and a lube with good grease. Lately I noticed a rhythmic clunk, clunk (sometimes sporadic) from a used bottom bracket I installed in a rebuild project. I opened it up and one single loose ball bearing was out of the...
  15. Kevin B

Fenders. Yea or ney?

In southwest Florida we get six months of dry weather and six months of almost daily rain. I appreciate fenders. For me they are one reason I like beach cruisers in full trim. I ride every day.
  16. Kevin B

Help! making a ducktail fender

A ballpeen worked slowly over a post or pipe might work too.
  17. Kevin B

Help! making a ducktail fender

After you cut it where you want to maybe you could practice on the cut off piece. What about sandwiching it between two pieces of the right size PVC pipe and slowing, barely bending it? Too hard and you get a crease.