Rollfast late 40s?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have seen tells me this is a 1947 era Rollfast, but there are still questions I have.
Would it have had truss rods?
Did new bikes come without a chain guards?
This bike has 2 holes in rear fender for drop stand and has a kick stand, and no hole for reflector.
The seat configuration appears to be for newer seat post and not the "7" post.
Love the chain ring. What year did that style end?
I started stripping (Goofoff) the paint to see what I have, but the fenders will require more drastic
measures. I may try easy off oven cleaner.
After the beginning stages of paint removal, there appears to be orange coloring, or is that red
paint fading?

Notice the fancy Rollfast darts that adorn the frame, and the diamond on the seat post.

Check the numbers on the bottom bracket. That frame looks identical to my 48 sun racer.
1eebe8adf758a4a691076854de002b10.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Check the numbers on the bottom bracket. That frame looks identical to my 48 sun racer.
1eebe8adf758a4a691076854de002b10.jpg

That's it! The only apparent difference is the chain ring.
How did you find out the name Sun Racer? cool
I'll check the numbers when I get a chance.

That's it! The only apparent difference is the chain ring.
How did you find out the name Sun Racer? cool
I'll check the numbers when I get a chance.
03f60ce2358d31b091fa7b6516de55f1.jpg

It is badged as a sun racer. It's built by Snyder just like rollfast. They did like Schwinn and had hardware and specialty badged bikes. I wouldn't be surprised if the fender stripes aren't the same as well.

Everything I have seen tells me this is a 1947 era Rollfast, but there are still questions I have.
Would it have had truss rods?
Did new bikes come without a chain guards?
This bike has 2 holes in rear fender for drop stand and has a kick stand, and no hole for reflector.
The seat configuration appears to be for newer seat post and not the "7" post.
Love the chain ring. What year did that style end?
I started stripping (Goofoff) the paint to see what I have, but the fenders will require more drastic
measures. I may try easy off oven cleaner.
After the beginning stages of paint removal, there appears to be orange coloring, or is that red
paint fading?

Notice the fancy Rollfast darts that adorn the frame, and the diamond on the seat post.

It may not be the same paint but it is the correct chainguard for the bike.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252486286856

03f60ce2358d31b091fa7b6516de55f1.jpg

It is badged as a sun racer. It's built by Snyder just like rollfast. They did like Schwinn and had hardware and specialty badged bikes. I wouldn't be surprised if the fender stripes aren't the same as well.

Could you post fender tip pictures of that sweet Sun Racer?

I tried removing the fenders sprayed on paint with no success. No darts or pin stripes, just metal. Someone must have sanded off the original paint. On to plan B...

My late '40s Snyder built Rollfast and Hawthorne have date codes stamped on the bottom in reverse order; my 1947 is stamped 74-xx, etc. I believe the new "1942" frame designs lasted into the 1950's.
I measured both seat tubes as 0.844" or 27/32 or 21.4mm, which I thought might be uncommon, until I googled it, and found out that many 1/2 pipes have the same diameter. Who would have thought that they would select a "pipe size" for a bicycle part that looks just like a piece of pipe.
I have seen many old advertisements that appear to still show the lucky-7.

I have seen some older advertisements that show base models without the tank, chain guard, rack, head light, or (pre-cpsa) safety reflectors. After the standard model was the deluxe, then the super (chrome and whitewalls, etc.). These options did change over the many years. The ladies' base model substituted a chain guard (dresses) for the men's truss rods. The men's and ladies' truss rods may have different lengths, due to differences in frame design (head-tube height).
Reflectors were offered only on the high-end models, rack or fender mounted rear and headset nut mounted front (yellow); these were not very bright, I believe the 19 round buttons style.

Last edited:
I'll add that the 'H''s in the chain ring stand for DP Harris Hardware co, who made ball bearings and skates, and owned the Rollfast brand. As said above, the bikes were all made by the HP Snyder Co., who also made a lot of Hawthornes. -Adam

Latest posts

Back