ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice moldings ! :thumbsup:

maybe just satin black paint on the side walls could do the trick ? i heard plastidip works well on tires ..

(edit) spining the tires inflated on a old rim and lightly spray them with paint should make a nice and even shade/transition from paint to rubber
That's what I'm thinking also. I tried a Sharpie just for the heck of it and it did cover but it had that blueish marker look. It would probably look ok from a distance but not up close. so then I removed the sharpie ink with acetone but it had no effect on the tire graphics.

The reflective stripes probably just peel off (they do on Linus tires). There was a residue left, but it can probably be cleaned up (I've been too lazy to do it with mine). Maybe put them on an old rim and spin with some sandpaper or something to take it off?

The reflective stripes probably just peel off (they do on Linus tires). There was a residue left, but it can probably be cleaned up (I've been too lazy to do it with mine). Maybe put them on an old rim and spin with some sandpaper or something to take it off?
I looked at it close with a magnifying glass and it can't be pealed off. There is a texture on the sidewalls and plus it's thin so sanding is out. I'm leaning toward painting them.

In other news, I haven't posted my lamp pipe trim project in a few days, so here's a look at where they go and how they attach.
Decoluxe FB3.jpg

Jim,
Sharpie makes an oil/based paint marker that's decent and doesn't 'blue' like the alcohol based markers. The Mrs. used them to stencil the 'NO DIVING' signs on the neighborhood's concrete pool deck. Even with the sun, pool water, etc they still look great. We bought them at 'Michael's' craft store, like $5-6. They come in pointed and chisel tips.

508183f98bd5b8065be91d29e1a6a7c0.jpg

Cheers,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks ya'll!
...i spy a nice paintjob teaser there too :)
I was tempted to go with flat black last week after I got everything in primer, but hot rod black is not what I'm going for with the Decoluxe. I want it to look like a period correct survivor (or at least my version of one :)).
Here's more of the black primer.
Decoluxe primer.jpg

Jim,
Sharpie makes an oil/based paint marker that's decent and doesn't 'blue' like the alcohol based markers. The Mrs. used them to stencil the 'NO DIVING' signs on the neighborhood's concrete pool deck. Even with the sun, pool water, etc they still look great. We bought them at 'Michael's' craft store, like $5-6. They come in pointed and chisel tips.

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks Rob. Looks like Hobby Lobby has them, I'll grab one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nice moldings ! :thumbsup:

maybe just satin black paint on the side walls could do the trick ? i heard plastidip works well on tires ..

(edit) spining the tires inflated on a old rim and lightly spray them with paint should make a nice and even shade/transition from paint to rubber
Plus, it could give them an aged look as well. Unless of course, this whole thing is going to be shiny...which we have no knowledge of as of yet...:bigsmile:

Jim,

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks for the 'tip' Dr Tank! Def gonna give that a try sometime!

Nice color. I'm pumped now, let's get this thing done!
I am so running out of time! :43:
Unless of course, this whole thing is going to be shiny...which we have no knowledge of as of yet...:bigsmile:
Well OJ, it's going to be shiny but not 'fresh paint' shiny. I've been working on a technique to make it look like an old bike that has decent original paint that has been cleaned and waxed. Just look at some of @Rat Rod 's bikes after a bath in Texas water, that's the look. I hope that the average person will see it and think 'wow, that paint has really held up good through the years'!

More brown paint...
Decoluxe paint 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back