30's Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This thing looks terrible at the moment. But the only real roadblock is the rear wheel. I'm going to start cleaning tonight and see how it goes over the next few days. It really has a lot going for it, and I got it locally and cheap. Seat is decent, bars are too. And of course the stem and stainless fenders. I think the paint is actually going to be pretty nice, despite the current look.
IMG_0387_zpsniae6lqa.jpg

IMG_0388_zps1adcy9q8.jpg

IMG_0389_zpsklwtae8v.jpg

IMG_0390_zpsdshldvsv.jpg

Sweet score!
I someone just posted one of those for sale today.

Good one love that frame & fork & saddle & bars & stem !!!!! when do you know you have enough bikes I want one [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer find. Westfield built Elgin oriole, I believe they were made from 36-38. I bet it cleans up great. Looks all original too!

I don't know if the rear wheel can be straightened. I doubt it, but I have another triple-step from a ladies elgin, same condition, minus the kink. First I plan to try straightening the rim, then get spokes back in it and see how it trues up. I want this to be a rider for now, so replacing the wheel may be neccessary.

I don't know if the rear wheel can be straightened. I doubt it, but I have another triple-step from a ladies elgin, same condition, minus the kink. First I plan to try straightening the rim, then get spokes back in it and see how it trues up. I want this to be a rider for now, so replacing the wheel may be neccessary.

Yeah you could always replace it. These Elgin hubs are smooth riding. I've never had one that brakes that great though.

Nice survivor. With any luck you'll save both the chain and that rim. It'll take some work, but doesn't appear hopeless.

Started on the wheel tonight. I had some same-length spokes on a postwar wheel. Same rust factor, but shorter nipples. Except for a slight hop, I have the wheel looking pretty good so far. A quick wipedown and it looks like the paint will be decent.

The rear wheel is looking great. I decided to unlace it to clean, then replaced some spokes with donors from a trashed triple-step I found in the basement. The front rim was a little wonky too, so I unlaced to clean and trued it up after. Only broke one spoke on the front trying to unlace, and it had one broken spoke to begin with. Also, first time using a wire cup on a chain. It made this Diamond shine again. Looks like the future for all of my old skiptooth chains.
IMG_0393_zpseqi4ixum.jpg

IMG_0396_zpswof6tfyr.jpg

The rear wheel is looking great. I decided to unlace it to clean, then replaced some spokes with donors from a trashed triple-step I found in the basement. The front rim was a little wonky too, so I unlaced to clean and trued it up after. Only broke one spoke on the front trying to unlace, and it had one broken spoke to begin with. Also, first time using a wire cup on a chain. It made this Diamond shine again. Looks like the future for all of my old skiptooth chains.
IMG_0393_zpseqi4ixum.jpg

IMG_0396_zpswof6tfyr.jpg
I am looking to clean a chain (or 4) as well......can I ask what a wire cup is and the process for cleaning?

I have tried white vinegar before with horrible results......the chains just fell apart :(

Wire cup is just a wire wheel in the shape of a cup. Their just saying take a wire wheel to it, like whats on a bench grinder or youd stick in the end of a drill. This works, soaking in diesel fuel afterward, PB blaster bath...whatever...letting it soak...heard trans fluid heated up on a hot plate work good, havent got around to trying that though.....mehhh...long as the links free up....Beautiful bike too man, Id love to have one of those eventually! Great lines and bars!

Still some detailing to do, but here is an update. The rear wheel still has a bit of a hop. Not sure how to go about fixing that. I might mark it where it hops, take the tire off, and tap the rim with a rubber mallet. Any ideas?
IMG_0405_zpsyrhkvktj.jpg

IMG_0404_zpspata5xoc.jpg

Latest posts

Back