Doc Holliday

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg
Well....the crankset came peacefully but I can't say the same for the seat post. Darn...I really liked that seat post too....

If you're seeing something that looks like a master link then you're doing better than me. I haven't taken the chain off the frame yet because I can find a master link, but then again, I've never tried to carefully disassemble a skip tooth chain before.

Look at the short link just to the left of center in your pic. It has longer pins and could be the master but I've never messed with a skip tooth chain either.

Bummer on that seatpost. Looks like that could be a toughy.

That's a cool hub. Looks like it might clean up pretty good. Is there a master link in those pics? One of the short links looks like it has longer pins.
yep... and it's not one with a slip key to go over it either. you bend the chain a bit to bring those two pins closer together and pry the side off towards you. (savvy?) I like those cable clamps, used em' on a bike before. I actually tapped holes in the frame and screwed them directly to it. (on a big flat spot on an apollo frame) Seat posts can be the worst! Fire and torque seem to work best for me. Clamp that post in a vise with the bike upside down and shoot a little PB into the inside of the seat tube now that the crank is out... cool frame bro.

Carl.

yep... and it's not one with a slip key to go over it either. you bend the chain a bit to bring those two pins closer together and pry the side off towards you. (savvy?) I like those cable clamps, used em' on a bike before. I actually tapped holes in the frame and screwed them directly to it. (on a big flat spot on an apollo frame) Seat posts can be the worst! Fire and torque seem to work best for me. Clamp that post in a vise with the bike upside down and shoot a little PB into the inside of the seat tube now that the crank is out... cool frame bro.

Carl.

But I don't have a vise...

Pure Hoosier muscle and ingenuity

Just getting caught up on your build old Doc Holiday looks like he's not giving up the ghost easy . In true Doc fashion not going out with out a fight ! Fair well Chipps hope your last build goes just as you wanted & a ride off in to the sunset [emoji560]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just getting caught up on your build old Doc Holiday looks like he's not giving up the ghost easy . In true Doc fashion not going out with out a fight ! Fair well Chipps hope your last build goes just as you wanted & a ride off in to the sunset [emoji560]

Nope. The more I get into this build, the more I keep hearing "Say when"....

The seat post was turning side to side fine so I figured I'd bang it out of there. Evidently I ate a little too much Wheaties this morning. Oh well....Plan B here we come

Sounds like you got it on the run. You could tip it upside down like Carl said and fill it with blaster then you should be able to wiggle it with a pipe wrench or some big vise grips.

Should be worth the effort. It's a cool bike.

Sounds like you got it on the run. You could tip it upside down like Carl said and fill it with blaster then you should be able to wiggle it with a pipe wrench or some big vise grips.

Should be worth the effort. It's a cool bike.

It's soaking now and will be overnight. I think it'll come out of there next time.
I think it'll be a cool bike when it's done. Right now it's just a big blue toad

After the soaking . Turn it upside down clamp the post in a vice & then turn the bike back & forth . You should have plenty of leverage then !

Clamp that post in a vise with the bike upside down and shoot a little PB into the inside of the seat tube now that the crank is out... cool frame bro.
Carl.

But I don't have a vise...
Pure Hoosier muscle and ingenuity

After the soaking . Turn it upside down clamp the post in a vice & then turn the bike back & forth . You should have plenty of leverage then !

Hey!..:bigboss:...Pay attention G-Matt......:21::21::21:...sorry..feeling a little ornery tonight.:D

So, what's been happenin' back at the O.K. corral lately?

Ah, sorry to hear that. I will check out your sale thread....in the meantime, take care.

Latest posts

Back