Kickback hubs...?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I posted this In an for sale post but I think more members will chime in here ......

I have questions.....
Does the blu band only come in 28h or is there 36h also.....?
If only 28h......
Will the guts of blue band fit in the hub of red or Yellow band to get that gearing....
Now that I've committed treason fire away
:grin::grin::grin:

I have been told that there was a very limited number of Blue bands with 36 holes, but that the 28 hole is what you'll find out there. As far as I know, the guts from a yellow will fit in a blue shell. That's really not necessary though, as the modern kickbacks that you can buy on Amazon have an overdrive like the blue band, so if you want the blue in 36, just for the overdrive, consider a SRAM or Sturmey Archer kickback.

The Bendix docs at this link indicate that a 36h was available in both the blue and yellow bands. The red band used a disc pack, vice shoes, and is not internally compatible with the others. There were several parts that were not interchangeable between the blue and the yellow--the pages seem to indicate the the hub shell was one of those parts.

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

I have been told that there was a very limited number of Blue bands with 36 holes, but that the 28 hole is what you'll find out there. As far as I know, the guts from a yellow will fit in a blue shell. That's really not necessary though, as the modern kickbacks that you can buy on Amazon have an overdrive like the blue band, so if you want the blue in 36, just for the overdrive, consider a SRAM or Sturmey Archer kickback.
or http://ratrodbikes.storenvy.com/col...oducts/7273284-3g-26-x-57mm-2-speed-wheel-set
2spdhub_original.jpg

Believe these are overdrive hubs too.

there is a 36 hole blue band but there scarce,im not a ray expert but i think the early rear s2 on a stingray was a 36 hole rim so maby it was for that,the parts from yellow and red dont interchange

Hahaha, people sure get funny about them springs! nice assortment of hubs and parts man, I wish my parts bin looked like that! Someone needs to start making them springs...hmmm.

if you can find one, check out the Sachs Torpedo 2 speed hub. They made a number of them in the 60's for folding bikes that used 28 spokes as well as 36 spoke hubs. I found a pair for 36 spokes set up for tandems, nice thick spokes. They have both found their way onto my customs. :cool2:

Ok, another Noob question.
Why is it called a kickback hub? Do you have to pedal back to get it to shift?

I ask because I have a Schwinn with a three speed hub and I have to pedal back to make it shift. Maybe it's broken?

They are called that because they are so cool you just "kick back" and enjoy the ride! :grin:

Ok, another Noob question.
Why is it called a kickback hub? Do you have to pedal back to get it to shift?

I ask because I have a Schwinn with a three speed hub and I have to pedal back to make it shift. Maybe it's broken?

Exactly; for all of the Bendix kickbacks, the Sturmey-Archer kickbacks, and the F&S Torpedo Duomatic, you need to backpedal a little bit to toggle between the 2 gears. The current SRAM Automatix hub is basically a slightly updated re-release of the F&S Torpedo Automatic; these are 2 speed jobs without cables that use centrifugal force to upshift when the wheel is spinning at a certain rate. Bendix also made a cable-actuated manual 2 speed before they got into the kickback game.

As far as your Schwinn 3speed goes, i'm assuming it has a Sturmey AW hub, and it sounds like your problems would likely be solved by adjusting the shifter cable tension and/or the indicator spindle to which the cable is attached. (It threads into the hub, and it may be loose.) See Sheldon's site to guide you through tuning an AW: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_3-spd.html

HTH

Exactly; for all of the Bendix kickbacks, the Sturmey-Archer kickbacks, and the F&S Torpedo Duomatic, you need to backpedal a little bit to toggle between the 2 gears. The current SRAM Automatix hub is basically a slightly updated re-release of the F&S Torpedo Automatic; these are 2 speed jobs without cables that use centrifugal force to upshift when the wheel is spinning at a certain rate. Bendix also made a cable-actuated manual 2 speed before they got into the kickback game.

As far as your Schwinn 3speed goes, i'm assuming it has a Sturmey AW hub, and it sounds like your problems would likely be solved by adjusting the shifter cable tension and/or the indicator spindle to which the cable is attached. (It threads into the hub, and it may be loose.) See Sheldon's site to guide you through tuning an AW: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_3-spd.html

HTH
Thanks

Hi

I need informations,if you got these...
on my heavy-duti, my Duomatic (red band) got some difficulties to switch between the two speeds, especially after riding a few miles.
sometimes, I have to retry several times to catch the other speed.

I never open the hub, because I have no datas about it. but first Iwould like to have some good tips about the problem... Do you think it's about grease ?

Those hubs are old, but well built. Old grease gets hard and needs to be cleaned out. Mineral spirits will dissolve the hardened grease. Using the Bendix diagram, you could clean and regrease the hub to get it as good as it can be. Use good grease, bicycle lube although expensive would really be a big help on a 2 speed kickback.

The SRAM automatix isn't a kickback. I had 2 of them and liked them, but they had a certain speed they shifted at, you don't choose. I also like the kickbacks because you choose when to shift.
It's better if your daily ride is a kickback because it becomes second nature as you shift up and down.

There are stories about different color kickback hubs made by Bendix, other than yellow, red, and blue. A green band and an orange band hub have been rumored to be rare as a factory mistake in the mixing of colors. I researched the orange band hubs, there are 3 of them out there supposedly, and that was the most believable story from where they were made in New York.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try and google it, but i read a cool article where folks were modding the shiftpoint for the SRAM Auto but bending the one spring slightly.... Thought it was interesting, as a lot of folks running these on 26" wheels thought they shift earlier than they'd like....

Yes there is a video on how to do the adjustment so it'll shift at a higher speed (rpm). It shifts before you get the cranks really moving on a standard setup, although either way isn't always when you want to shift, so I prefer the kickback. On my klunker, I just changed to a small chain wheel (40) so I had a good low gear for offroad and a decent cruising gear as high gear.
bigboy.JPG

Latest posts

Back