How about a sex change build off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you participate in a sex change build off?

• Yes

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been planning my bike for build off 11 and it occurs to me. I have never seen a sex change build off on here. You know, take a girl's step through frame and flip it, or add a top bar, or completely rebuild it into something different. Hey, buy a T.R.M. tank and go to town! This type of build off may exile some builders who don't weld, but having a bar or two welded in at a shop wouldn't be very costly. And there all kinds of cool curves in vintage frames to cut out and use. Anybody like this idea?

Last edited:
I'd absolutely do this, have a girl's 26" dragstripper I've been wanting to turn into a men's bike. Problem is I have a list of projects before it.

Be sure to consult this guy on bikes due for a sex change...

bruce-jenner-emerges-as-a-woman-on-the-cover-of-vanity-fair-call-me-caitlyn.jpg

I have about three ideas right now....none of them involving Whutzits Jender.:crazy2:

Last edited:
How about a gender neutral build off? Make it so you don't destroy a perfectly good girls bike that people may want for their wife/daughter/etc.? Kind of like T.R.M.s conversions but doesn't have to be a tank(non-invasive). Just make it so the original frame isn't destroyed and could be easily turned back into a step through if wanted?
That would be a challenge!
Convertible challenge for the new year. Thats not been done yet(other than by T.R.M. and I have a lot of respect for that)! Someday those cheap girls bikes won't be around to hack up at this rate.

I would have no problem allowing members/builders to decide just how they go about completing the sex change, even changing a boy's bike into a step thru frame could be an option. But, I don't think that there is any reason to tell people that they can't modify/destroy any frame that belongs to them. If saving vintage girls bikes is your crusade, then I appaud your efforts. Around here, and most everywhere that I know of, most people only want them as donors for hard to find parts. I have built one for my wife and she rides it and loves it, BUT she would never want a collection of them, I feel that this is the opinion of most women (except for the female members of sites like this one). I do think it is a shame to see girl's X-53 ,curved seat tube Elgin , etc....get plucked of it's "good" parts leaving a bare frame to be bought for pennies. But, it happens ALL of the time. It is too expensive most times to source the parts to reassemble them, so in my humble opinion, why not build something fun and useable from a frame that is in this stage of life?? It is not people converting bikes into men's bike that will be the death of all of this vintage tubing............it is the parts seeking collectors and rat rodders who have to have that correct or COOL parts for their next project.

COOl, I'm diggin' that little Barbie bobber!! I know it's not a barbie bike, but it is cool!

COOl, I'm diggin' that little Barbie bobber!! I know it's not a barbie bike, but it is cool!

Thanks Big Ape....she's been after me for a while to build what she calls a "Hot Rod Bike." She wants to show up all the lil Boys on our street [emoji3] she said none of the boys can touch it....... I told her that makes two things they're not allowed to touch! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan for the BO11 is to do a conversion. Probably wouldn't be right to enter two builds with the same bike (with what I'm doing with this, one bike is all I'll have time and funds for), though. Had I the extra time and money, I'd rather go the other way to be contrarian and turn a men's bike into a step-through. I'd have to come up with some kind of interesting design so that there's a reason to do it . . . I don't know, I think the BO11 bike is all I have spare creativity for, as well. I guess it would depend on when the build would happen.

My plan for the BO11 is to do a conversion. Probably wouldn't be right to enter two builds with the same bike (with what I'm doing with this, one bike is all I'll have time and funds for), though. Had I the extra time and money, I'd rather go the other way to be contrarian and turn a men's bike into a step-through. I'd have to come up with some kind of interesting design so that there's a reason to do it . . . I don't know, I think the BO11 bike is all I have spare creativity for, as well. I guess it would depend on when the build would happen.

I agree, I don't have time for two build offs at the same time. And, I am planning to convert a step thru frame during build off 11.
I guess that my hope would be for the sex change build off to be like a fall or winter competition. Problem is, the muscle bike build offs have gotten real popular and klunker build off looks like a good thing as well. I just don't know if there is room to get this done site wide.

This was a ladies bike I turned motobike. Still not completely finished, but I'd be down to do another build

e7c32deff032b90904f8bb830ec448fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back